This keto rumchata recipe is a delicious drink recipe similar to RumChata. It uses vodka or rum and low carb ingredients for a creamy winter drink for those on a keto diet. The flavors are a mix of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and each keto cocktail has only 0.6g net carbs.
You might also like these holiday keto cocktail recipes!
Recently while at “book club” at my sister’s house I had the pleasure of tasting RumChata. I had not ever heard of it before but boy was it was a tasty beverage!
It tastes like a warm, spicy white Russian. Anyway I really liked it and when I got home I thought, “I bet I can make a rumchata drink into a keto friendly cocktail”. So today I give you my keto rumchata drink! It’s the ideal drink for those on a low carb diet.
While I used a vanilla vodka in this recipe it’s usually a rum drink but you can swap and use spirit you like and it won’t change the carb counts.
What is RumChata?
RumChata is a rum cream liqueur based on a traditional drink called a horchata which is a rice milk based drink. The ingredients are essentially rum, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and cream. On RumChata’s website they say about their liqueur, “Rum & Horchata had a love child and it’s delicious” and I totally agree!
The alcohol content of Rumchata is 15% alcohol by volume. Comparatively speaking the alcohol content of vodka is 40% by volume usually as is does rum. So this drink recipe is a bit stronger.
Recipe ingredients I used.
The basic ingredients for this simple drink are Absolut vanilla vodka, unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, vanilla extract and stevia.
Note if you use a granulated sugar or sweetener you should heat up the cream and sugar on the stove to dissolve it. Let it cool before adding the other ingredients. Or use a powdered sugar or sweetener and you won’t have to do this.
You can see below most of the simple ingredients I used. I love this SweetLeaf vanilla cream stevia sweetener and use it in many of my low carb drinks and recipes. However you can use the sweetener of your choice if you don’t have it.
Also I used Absolut vanilla flavored vodka instead of rum but you can switch it out if you prefer rum. I just don’t. Also Absolut flavored vodkas don’t have any added sugar and carbs. If you use another vanilla flavored vodka or rum make sure it don’t have have any carbs or just use plain vodka or rum.
How to make a keto rumchata drink.
- Get out a cocktail shaker or blender and add all the ingredients. Blend or shake until well combined.
- Taste and see if you want to add more vodka (or rum), spices or sweetness.
- Pour over ice and enjoy! You can use a cinnamon stick for garnish if you wish.
These are really simple and tasty. Even my hubby liked it and he’s not much of a creamy drink person. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
Can you use rum instead of vodka?
As I mentioned above yes you can use rum instead of vodka. It’s meant to use rum but I prefer vodka.
Plain vodka has 0 carbs and 64 calories in 1 oz. Regular rum is the same. So you can use rum in this cocktail if you wish
The amount of rum or vodka that you use is up to you. I would advise using a middle shelf liquor, however I would say that for most drinks.
Check out this great guide about alcohol on keto that my friend Maya wrote.
Different ways to use this keto rumchata or other flavors to mix in.
I just serve this drink over ice. As I mentioned above you can add more vodka (or rum) to make it stronger but I think it’s fine as is.
Here are a few more ways to drink this or things to mix with this vodka chata:
- coffee – One of the easiest way to make a boozy coffee drink. Just as you would add cream to coffee, add some of this drink to black coffee.
- hot chocolate – Same concept as coffee but with hot cocoa or chocolate. It will add creaminess and go well with chocolate flavors.
- add extracts to change the flavor profile – Try adding orange extract for a cream orange cocktail. Or even almond extract to get a keto creamy Amaretto flavored drink.
- Rumchata White Russian – Add more vodka and Torani’s sugar free coffee syrup to make this drink.
- slushy – Blend with ice to make a creamy keto slushy
- boozy eggnog shake – Add to this keto eggnog shake for a boozy shake.
I hope you like this keto rumchata recipe as much as I do, especially if you are on a low carb diet. And if you don’t care about carbs I recommend going out and buying some RumChata. It’s really good!
Rumchata Nutritional Information(4.5oz) found on their website.
220 cals / 5g fat / 20g carbs / 1g protein
Keto Rum Chata Drink (6 oz)
190 cals / 13.5g fat / 1.3g carbs / 0.7g fiber / 0.6g protein = 0.6g net carbs
More low carb vodka drinks to try.
Here are a few more low carb and keto vodka drinks to try:
- root beer float
- keto candy cane martini
- low carb pumpkin pie cocktail
- frozen mudslide
- German chocolate cake cold brew
- grapefruit ginger fizz
- lemon drop fizz
- spiked hot cocoa
- 1 ounce middle shelf vodka, (or rum)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- vanilla stevia to taste, or sweetener of your choice
- Note I used Absolut Vanilla Vodka. I know this brand has no carbs and the added vanilla is great for this recipe. However you can use plain vodka or rum if you wish.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix on high for a few seconds.
- Serve over ice. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish if you want.
- The nutrition info for 2 drink is 190 / 13.5g fat / 1.3g carbs / 0.7g fiber / 0.6g protein - 0.6 net carbs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Unsaturated Fat: 0g