One way to stay on track with a low carb diet is meal prep and the Instant Pot pressure cooker is a very useful tool. This recipe for Instant Pot chicken cubes will help you make and freeze cooked chicken cubes will help you cook and freeze chicken for soups, stews, casseroles and more.
You might also like these 5 easy keto omelets post!
One of my favorite staples to have on hand is cooked frozen chicken. Sometimes I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco and freeze the meat so I can make my son’s favorite wedding soup whenever he wants it.
I also like to use cooked chicken in casseroles, enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, etc. That’s why today I made these Instant Pot chicken cubes that I could freeze for low carb recipes this fall. A pressure cooker makes it so easy to make a big batch of delicious cooked chicken and in little time.
Keto Recipes That Use This Frozen Chicken
Cooked chicken cubes are great in soups, stews, casseroles, crepes, on pizza or even to stuff peppers and chiles with. Here are some of my best low carb recipes that use cooked chicken.
How To Make Meal Prep
Chicken In The Instant Pot
I found a 4 lb tray of boneless chicken breasts on sale at Aldi which is why I decided to do this in the first place. So here is how you cook boneless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot or any pressure cooker.
- Cut up raw chicken breasts in to even sized cubes.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper (or any seasoning you want).
- Place the cubes in the Instant Pot and then pour in some chicken broth.
- Hit the manual button to pressure cook for 8 minutes.
- Do a quick pressure release when done and let the chicken cool before freezing in ziplock bags. You want to do a quick release instead of a natural pressure release because you don’t want the chicken to continue cooking.
- PS Make sure to drain the liquid before freezing but save it for chicken broth which you can also freeze separately.
By the way, this is the Instant Pot that I use but you can use any kind of pressure cooker for this recipe.
As you can see below I got a big bowl full of chicken from this recipe. I also saved the liquid and used it for soup that day. You don’t want to freeze the chicken with the broth though.
Freezing Cooked Chicken
I just use ordinary baggies to freeze my chicken because I go through it quite quickly. However I just bought a very inexpensive food saver like this that I will be using next time. Since I freeze food alot, I don’t want them to have freezer burn.
For this batch though, divide the chicken into as many bags as you wish. I used 6. Then get as much air out of it as you can, press it closed and flatten so you can stack them in the freezer. You should also use a permanent marker and write the date on it.
This was not a planned post today, but I thought using cooked frozen chicken would be useful for those who are dieting. I hope it was some help to you.
The nutritional information for 1 serving of chicken is:
357 cals / 7.1g fat / 0.2g carbs / 92.6g protein
And if you need something to make with your prepped chicken, try this keto chicken salad recipe!
- 4 lbs bonesless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut up chicken and add to the Instant Pot or other pressure cooker.
- Pour in broth, cover with lid and set the pressure release valve to the back.
- Manually cook for 8 minutes. Do a quick press release and take off lid.
- Let chicken cool before freezing. Save the liquid to make soup with.
- Divide the chicken into 6 freezer bags. Do not add any liquid. Make sure you get as much air out of the bags as possible. Flatten and write the date on the bag. Stack in the freezer for later use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Unsaturated Fat: 0g