This Instant Pot beef vegetable soup recipe is the perfect solution to a cold winter day. Packed with healthy vegetables and a super savory broth you will want to make a big batch and freeze for later. The Instant Pot makes the beef chunks nice and tender and the whole recipe is a breeze.
You might also like this Instant Pot beef stew recipe.
It is prime soup season and I was craving a bowl of soup after all the sweets and goodies from holidays. So I pulled out my pressure cooker and quickly made this Instant Pot beef vegetable soup recipe.
A bowl of this vegetable beef soup is chock full of veggies and has tender chunks of beef thanks to the Instant Pot which cooks meat so well. Plus I used some frozen vegetables to make the process quick and easy.
All of this things are wrapped up in a very tasty, flavorful broth to make this your new favorite recipe for soup this year. And while I used an Instant Pot you can use any kind of electric pressure cooker and I have instructions for both the slow cooker and stove top below.
Recipe ingredients I used.
I really put a lot of veggies into this soup recipe as well as spices so it’s packed with flavor. The ingredients I used were beef stew meat, frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, peas, corn & green beans), a can of diced tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic cloves, potato, Better than Bouillon beef base, olive oil, thyme and beef stock.
You can use all fresh vegetables if you want but fresh corn and peas are rather a pain to prepare and I bag of frozen veggies is one of my shortcuts. I used gold potatoes but you could use russet potatoes if you want.
Also you can use beef broth or beef stock. You could even use chicken broth. However I HIGHLY recommend the Better than bouillon base. I use it in all of my soup recipes as it adds a depth of flavor.
How to make Instant Pot beef vegetable soup.
Step 1: Press the saute setting and adjust the heat to high. Add the olive oil, beef pieces, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes to brown the meat.
Step 2: Next add in the onion and celery and cook for a minute or two to soften them. Then press the cancel button.
Step 3: Add in the rest of the ingredients, mix together and place on the lid. Turn the pressure release valve to sealing position and hit the manual setting and pressure cook for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Let the pressure come down naturally (a natural release rather than a quick release) and then serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container. (Please scroll down to find the printable recipe card.
How to freeze this vegetable soup.
To freeze this soup, just let it cool down and then spoon into soup containers and set in the freezer. I bought these food storage containers for my soup 3 years ago and I’m still using them.
It’s good to mark them with the date but I often forget to do this to be honest. Just put a piece of masking tape and write the date on top. The masking tape is easy to get off and you can reuse the container.
To reheat the soup just place in the microwave and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring midway through. If it’s not done, cook for a 1-2 minutes more.
To make this healthy soup recipe on the stove top.
In a soup pan, add the oil and cubes of beef. Season with salt and pepper and brown the meat. This should take 3-5 minutes.
Add the onions and a little water or beef broth. Loosely cover the pot and let it simmer until the meat is tender. This can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour. You have to watch and add more water or broth if the liquid evaporates.
Once the meat is tender, add in the rest of the ingredients (vegetables, seasonings and broth). Bring it to a simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the beef cubes and vegetables. That’s it.
To make this in the slow cooker just add everything into the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the pieces of meat are tender.
Other Instant Pot soup recipes to try.
The pressure cooker is the best for make soup. I have quite a few different recipes to try but these are my favorites.
I’m not kidding, this hearty soup is really flavorful as well as healthy. The beef gets so tender in the Instant Pot and coupled with all the vegetables and really tasty broth makes a very tasty soup.
All you need is a nice green salad and or some crusty bread and you have a quick meal. My friend Shruthi has a wonderful flaky buttermilk cheddar biscuit recipe would be great with this. I hope you give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb beef cubes (pre-cut stew meat or chuck roast cut into bite size pieces)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 10 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cup gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups beef broth or beef stock
- Press the saute button and adjust the heat to high. Add the olive oil, beef cubes, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes to brown the meat. Then add the onion and celery and cook for 1-2 minutes to soften them. Press the cancel button.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, mix together and place on the lid. Seal the lid and press the manual button and adjust the time for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down naturally and let cool before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight containers. This is a good soup to freeze for later. Just make sure to let it cool completely before placing in the freezer.
- To make on the stove: In a soup pan, add the oil and beef cubes. Season with salt and pepper and brown the meat. This should take 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onions and a little water or beef broth. Loosely cover the pot and let it simmer until the meat is tender. This can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour. You have to watch and add more water or broth if the liquid evaporates.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 608mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g