This easy lentil & sausage soup takes no time at all in the Instant Pot. It’s a tasty, hearty soup that’s more like a meal in a bowl.
I’ve been really loving my Instant Pot lately. I was looking through the recipe book that came with it and saw how easy it was to cook beans. Then I remembered a lentil soup my friend Mary used to make years ago. I didn’t have the recipe but I thought it had tomatoes and sausage and just winged it from there. This is one of the best soups I’ve ever made. The broth is so rich and tasty and the vegetables just melt away while the lentils give it substance without being mushy. It definitely could be a meal in of itself. And with the Instant Pot it was SUPER easy.
Lentils don’t really agree with me. Which is such a shame because I would eat them all the time. Regardless I do make them every once in awhile. I grew up with a delicious Middle Eastern dish called mudjudrah which was lentils cooked down with caramelized onions and spices and you ate it with yogurt. It was comfort food for me. I will post that someday for you.
In case you are wondering about the Instant Pot, it’s picture to the right and is a pressure cooker that you can also use to saute, slow cook, make yogurt, cook rice, etc. It’s very useful! I’ve added a video at the bottom of this post to show you how easy this recipe is in the Instant Pot. However, you can also make in a slow cooker. You can either brown the sausage and vegetables a bit first or just throw everything in the slow cooker and cook all day.
For the vegetables I’ve used onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms and some spinach too. I used canned tomatoes. Aldi has some nice fire roasted diced tomatoes that I used but you can use regular diced.
Easy Lentil & Sausage Soup
If you like lentils or just lentil soup, you have to give this one a shot. It’s so tasty I wish I would have made more. I think it would freeze really well too by the way. Enjoy and here is a little video to show you how quick and easy it is to make.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 large piece of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 5 large mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth or stock
- ½ lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup lentils, green or brown
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- Press saute button on the Instant Pot and get nice and hot.
- Add the oil and then the onion, carrots and celery and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Put on the lid and push the lever to the back to pressure cook.
- Press the manual button for 25 minutes.
- When time is up, quick release or let the pressure come down naturally.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
More hearty soups to try!