I love creamy soups. My husband, not so much. But this one was for me because I was craving a creamy mushroom type of soup. And since I always have cut up rotisserie chicken in the freezer and some baby spinach on hand, I came up with this creamy chicken & spinach soup. To make this creamy, I used a cauliflower cream sauce that I loved so much in my Chicken Pot Pie Soup. The result was a delicious and nourishing soup that was hearty enough for a meal with only 135 calories and 4.0g net carbs.
So the main ingredients in this creamy chicken soup are mushrooms, spinach, chicken and cauliflower for the cream sauce. Those are 3 nutrient packed veggies right there and if you use bone broth, you’ll have even more good stuff in there! So the first thing you want to do is make your cauliflower cream sauce.
To make the cauliflower cream sauce boil your cauliflower on the stove and when it’s fork tender drain but reserve the cooking liquid. Add your cauliflower, olive oil, spices and nutritional yeast into a high speed blender along with a cup of the cooking liquid. Blend until it’s smooth and creamy like the pic below.
A note on the nutritional yeast: it is a healthy and flavorful ingredient that gives the sauce a slightly cheesy taste. You could substitute grated cheese but if you are trying to go dairy free then nutritional yeast is the way to go. Set the cauliflower sauce aside and start on the rest of the soup.
Add olive oil and mushrooms to a soup pan and sauté until they are brown a bit. Put your garlic in the pan and sauté for a minute more and then add the bouillon (if using) spinach and chicken broth. Let this simmer for 5 minutes. A note on the bouillon. I LOVE Better Than Bouillon products because they add so much flavor. They come in may different flavors and offer organic and and low sodium versions. Anyway it’s not necessary to this recipe but I really think it adds flavor so I would highly suggest using it. Back to the recipe. When the spinach is wilted add the chopped chicken and cook for a few minutes so that it’s heated through. Then pour in your cauliflower cream. Let that simmer for a few minutes so that all the flavors meld.
Creamy Chicken & Spinach Soup
I like my soups thick and creamy but if you would like it thinner, add a bit of the reserved liquid if you have any left or some more chicken broth to thin it out. Now you have a healthy, hearty meal in a bowl. I hope you like this crazy soup and have fun playing around with the cauliflower cream sauce. As I mentioned before I used it in my Chicken Pot Pie Soup and my Clam Chowder recipes so I’m sure you can come up with some good uses for it yourself. Enjoy!
Creamy Chicken & Spinach Soup (using cauliflower cream)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 Tablespoon <strong><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00016LA7K/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00016LA7K&linkCode=as2&tag=wildviolethyme&linkId=DILFDICR5AAQE2EI" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Better Than Bouillon</a></strong><img style="border: none !important; margin: 0px !important;" src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=wildviolethyme&l=as2&o=1&a=B00016LA7K" alt="" width="1" height="1" border="0" /> optional but recommended
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- Cauliflower Cream Sauce
- 4 cups cauliflower pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 Tablespoons <strong><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002863BIW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002863BIW&linkCode=as2&tag=wildviolethyme&linkId=32TASMUYKXNB53AE" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">nutritional yeast</a><img style="border: none !important; margin: 0px !important;" src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=wildviolethyme&l=as2&o=1&a=B002863BIW" alt="" width="1" height="1" border="0" /></strong> can sub grated Parmesan cheese but not Paleo
- 1 cup of water retained from boiling cauliflower
To make the cauliflower cream sauce, add your cauliflower to a pan and fill with water until almost covering the cauliflower.
Cover and cook until the cauliflower is fork tender.
Drain cauliflower but retain the liquid.
Add to a high speed blender along with 1 cup of the retained liquid, olive oil, spices, nutritional yeast and garlic. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Set aside and start making the soup.
Add olive oil and mushrooms to a soup pan.
Saute mushrooms until they just start to brown.
Add your garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
Then add your bouillon, spinach and chicken broth and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Next add your chicken and cook for 1 or 2 minutes until heated through.
Add your cauliflower cream sauce and continue to cook a few more minutes until all the flavors meld together.
If you wish to it to be thinner, add more chicken broth or water.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More hearty soups to try!