This spicy barbacoa beef roast was a snap in the Instant Pot. Full of spicy goodness, it’s perfect over rice for a delicious beef dinner. And you can make it in a slow cooker too!
Sometimes we get in the mood for a spicy dinner. Often I’ll make an Indian curry for me and my husband but my son doesn’t really like them. So today I took a shot at a spicy barbacoa beef roast in my Instant Pot. My thought was that Max could eat a quesadilla with a little of the spicy beef and surprisingly he did! I might have to make him try that Indian curry again. Anyway, this was so good with rice, avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. You can eat it many different ways too like in a burrito or salad.
I wanted to try this in the Instant Pot because I didn’t have enough time to make it in a slow cooker. I also like using the Instant Pot because you can brown the meat and saute the veggies first and then pressure cook all in the same pot. By the way, it takes awhile for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure so when a recipe says it cooks for 40 minutes, it’s more like an hour. Whenever I’m using the Instant Pot I count on having at least an hour before dinner which is really not too long. Plus once you put it in the pot you don’t have to watch it so you can use that time to do something else. Really it’s like a slow cooker on steroids. 😉
Spicy Barbacoa Beef Roast Recipe
As I’ve mentioned, this is very spicy. As in I used a lot of spices and rubbed them all over the meat. Then I browned the roast in the Instant Pot to seal in the juices and set it aside. Lastly I sauteed some onions and peppers before putting all the ingredients in the pressure cooker along with the meat and let it cook for 40 minutes or so. The meat will be tender at 40 minutes but not fall apart tender. If you like it to fall apart, cook it for 50 minutes in the pressure cooker.
You can make this in the slow cooker too. Just rub the spices on the meat, brown on both sides in a skillet and then add everything to the slow cooker and cook on low all day.
We ate this over rice with a little avocado, cilantro and squeeze of lime. ( I meant to put the lime in the recipe but forgot and I found out it wasn’t necessary). You can also eat this in a burrito, quesadilla or even on top of a salad for a lower carb dinner. As I said it is spicy. To cut down on the heat, eliminate the jalapeño but we like it hot. I hope you enjoy this super tasty beef as much as we did. Here’s a quick video of how I made it in the Instant Pot.
- 1½ lb chuck roast
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- ½ cup broth
- 1 14oz can tomatoes, diced
- 1 7oz can chipotle peppers
- 2 cups bell pepper slices (i used red and yellow peppers)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- Optional (cilantro, lime and avocado)
- Push the saute button on the Instant Pot and adjust to put it on high.
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl and then rub all over the roast.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot and brown the meat on both sides. About 3 minutes each side.
- Take out the meat and add the other tablespoon of oil and saute the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well and then place the roast on top.
- Place the lid on and seal. Push the vent knob to the back.
- Cancel the saute mode and then push the manual button.
- Adjust up for 40 to 50 minutes. (40 minutes will be more like a roast, 50 will make it fall apart)
- Quick release or let come down from pressure naturally.
- Serve over rice.
- Add a squeeze of lime, cilantro and avocado on top if you wish.
- Note: To make this in the slow cooker, rub the meat with the spices and then brown in a skillet for about 3 minutes on each side. Then place all the items in the slow cooker, mix and place the meat on top. Cook on low all day.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFO PLEASE VISIT OUR POLICIES PAGE.
A few more Instant Pot recipes to try.