If you need a low carb breakfast on the go, try these easy keto sausage egg muffins. Make these egg cups ahead of time and store in the freezer for an easy low carb grab and go breakfast. There is also a ham and egg cup version too! Each sausage and egg muffin has only 1.3g net carbs.
You might also like this popular low carb breakfast pizza!
I’ve got a quick one for you today. The new year is almost upon us and I’m already thinking about putting down the cookies and starting to be more strict with what I eat. I also am thinking of organizing.
Having already made meals are a must for me. That’s what keeps me from straying off my diet; when I know I have something good in the freezer that I only have to heat up.
I do this with my cheeseburger & cauliflower casserole a lot. Now I’ve added these keto sausage egg muffins. I make a few and eat them all week, either for a grab and go breakfast or low carb snack. They are easy and tasty.
More grab & go low carb breakfast ideas
I have a lot of low carb grab and go breakfast ideas on this blog for you by the way. The great thing about these types of recipes is that you can eat them any time of the day. Check out my:
Keto Sausage Egg muffins Recipe
Originally wanted to make the sausage into a cup that held the egg. I tried a couple versions but this final version is what I found to taste the best.
Instead of a cup I just made the sausage into patties and placed it at the base of the muffin tin. Then I scrambled eggs with cream and poured them on top of the sausage. Lastly I placed slices of cheese on the eggs and baked for 20 minutes.
Low Carb Ham and Egg Cups
I also tried it with slices of thin ham. They were a bit lighter than the sausage version but I personally love my sausage. However that is another option for you. You can see the ham and egg cup below.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use a good tasty sausage. I used a generic brand the first time and it was pretty flavorless.
- This works well with a thin sliced ham too. I used Aldi’s Fit & Active brand and it fit perfectly in the muffin tin.
- You can add vegetables to the eggs if you wish, like peppers, mushrooms, green onions, spinach, etc. Just make sure to account for the carbs if you are watching.
- Use a flavorful cheese on top. I used cheddar and American. The cheddar was far better in my opinion. I think swiss or pepper jack would be nice too.
- You can top this with hot sauce if you like to add some spice.
So that’s all I have for you today. This is a very basic recipe but you can dress it up any way you like. I hope you like these keto sausage egg cups as much as I did. They are perfect for a low carb breakfast on the go. The nutritional information for 1 sausage muffin is:
153 cals / 10.5g fat / 1.3g carbs / 11g protein = 1.3g net carbs
You might also like my friend Jenn’s spinach egg bites recipe!
- 6 eggs
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 12 oz breakfast sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Cut the sausage into 12 pieces and form into little patties that will sit on the bottom of each cup in the muffin tin.
- Add salt and pepper to the eggs and cream and beat.
- Pour over each piece of sausage and top with half a slice of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or you can freeze them for later.
- To reheat, just cook in the microwave for a minute or two.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Net Carbohydrates: 1.3g