These easy baked buffalo chicken wontons are the perfect party food especially for game day. This awesome appetizer is made of creamy, spicy buffalo chicken filled inside a crispy wonton wrapper. These wontons make great finger food and there is leftover buffalo chicken dip that can be used with veggies or chips.
You might also like these blue cheese filled buffalo chicken meatballs.
I love buffalo chicken dip. I only just tasted it about 5 years ago but I am hooked. I make it for many of our parties and I always make a lot so there are leftovers for me. 😉
Today I’ve used my buffalo chicken dip to make these baked buffalo chicken wontons. I baked them instead of deep frying so they are super easy. And I used half of the batch to use as a dip so this is a 2 for 1 kind of recipe.
Wonton wrappers are so versatile and easy to use. Putting the dip into a wonton form makes it easy finger food for a party. So if you are like me and a fan of buffalo chicken dip, you’ve got to try these.
Recipe ingredients I used.
Below you can see the basic ingredients I used to make the recipe dip. I used wonton wrappers, mayonnaise, hot sauce, cream cheese, pickled jalapenos, canned chicken and sharp cheddar cheese.
As you can see I used vegan wonton wrappers which worked find but I would have preferred regular. Note these are wonton wrappers not the larger egg roll wrappers.
Also I used canned chicken. You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken breast.
If you don’t have pickled jalapenos (my hubby has a great pickled jalapenos recipe by the way) you can use canned green chiles as well.
Lastly I used Aldi hot sauce but if you have a favorite buffalo sauce go ahead and use that.
How to make buffalo chicken wontons and dip.
This buffalo chicken dip recipe is probably similar to others you’ve had. I’ve made it all kinds of ways, with taco mix and chiles and now with hot sauce and jalapeños.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375°F and get out a rimmed baking tray. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Get out a large mixing bowl. Drain the canned chicken and place in the mixing bowl. Use a fork to separate and shred it. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to make your buffalo chicken dip.
Taste the dip to see if it’s hot enough. If not add extra buffalo sauce.
You will use half of the bowl of the chicken mixture for the wontons and the rest will be just to dip.
Step 3: Take a wonton wrapper and place on a cutting board or other flat surface. Take a teaspoon of the buffalo chicken filling and place it in the middle of the wonton. Dip your finger into a little bowl of water and wet the edges with water.
Fold over the wrapper to make a triangle and press to seal it shut. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Spray more cooking spray on top.
Step 4: Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes. Check to make sure they are golden brown and not burning. Cooking time may vary depending on how many you have on the tray.
That’s all there is to it! You end up with a crispy, hand held packet of yumminess! If you want a dip for the wontons, you could serve with blue cheese dressing or even ranch dressing but they really don’t need anything.
Step 5: To make just the buffalo chicken dip, place it in a microwave safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes. Check to see that it’s starting to brown around the edges and it should be done. If you want you can add extra shredded cheese on top but it doesn’t really need it.
Serve the dip along with tortilla chips or celery pieces. Store leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It also freezes fairly well.
The leftover wontons might need to crisp up again in the oven. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
More easy game day appetizer recipes to try.
I have all kinds of appetizer recipes on this blog. And here is a post with 50 keto game day appetizers! Some of my most popular and favorite recipes are:
- air fryer mushroom flatbread
- coconut shrimp with pineapple salsa
- green goddess deviled eggs
- bacon cheeseburger or Primantis sausage sliders
- sheet pan Italian nachos
- easy bean salad dip
- pumpkin cheesecake dip with bacon chips
- spicy Asian wings in the air fryer
- sausage & cheese stuffed poblanos in the air fryer
This was my newest rendition and I hope you like it. I used half of the dip to make 24 wontons and still had a nice size bowl of just the dip. If you want to make all wontons you could probably get 48 total. Or if you want to make just dip you will have a large bowl full.
Either way these baked buffalo chicken wontons make awesome football food so I hope you give them a try. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used canned but you can use rotisserie or leftover chicken)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- ¼ cup mayonaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce
- 24 small wonton wrappers
- For Buffalo Wontons
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a food processor add the jalapeños and pulse until minced. The add the chicken and pulse a few times to get it well chopped. Spoon into a larg mixing bowl.
- Add the softened cream cheese, mayo, hot sauce and cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon half of the the mixture into a microwaveable dish and set aside.
- Get out a small bowl of water for making the wontons. Take out a wonton wrapper and place on a plate. With the remaining dip, add about a teaspoon of mixture in the middle of the wonton. Then dip your finger in the water bowl and run along the edges of the wonton.
- Fold over to make a triangle and press the edges to make a seam. Repeat with remaining wrappers and dip.
- Place the filled wontons on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- For Buffalo Dip
- Place bowl of buffalo dip n the microwave and heat for 5 minutes Check half way to make sure the mixture doesn't burn on the edges.
- Eat with chips or cut vegetables (celery, carrots, peppers)
- PLEASE NOTE: This recipe is should yield a nice smaller sized bowl of dip and about 24 wontons.If you want to only make wontons it would probably make 48.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1 wonton
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g