These keto buffalo chicken stuffed mushrooms make for a delicious low carb appetizer for your next football party or get together. Creamy cheesy buffalo chicken dip makes the best stuffing. You can even eat these as a low carb snack or meal! Five stuffed mushrooms only have 2g net carbs!
You might also like these 35 keto rotisserie chicken recipes.
Now that winter is on our heels I like to have a few good low carb appetizer recipes on hand for parties. Whether it’s a holiday party, football party or a book club meeting it’s nice to have something low carb to bring along that you know everyone will love.
Case in point are these keto buffalo chicken stuffed mushrooms. I used my standard buffalo chicken dip and stuffed white mushrooms to make the perfect finger food for parties. Even though they are low carb no one will know or care because they are so delicious!
These mushrooms are also very easy to make and have such awesome flavor. They are definitely a party favorite. Best of all 5 of these chicken stuffed mushrooms have just 2 grams of carbs so they are perfect if you are on a low carb diet.
Recipe ingredients I used and substitutions.
Below you can see the simple ingredients I used for this appetizer – cream cheese, canned chicken, hot sauce, garlic cloves, mayonnaise, fresh mushrooms and shredded cheddar cheese.
Canned Chicken Breast
I use canned chicken for my buffalo chicken dip these days because it’s just more convenient to have it on hand in my pantry. You can also use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken.
I use white button mushrooms but I’ve also used baby portobellos. Either one will work for this recipe.
I would recommend using cheddar cheese and not substitute with other cheeses. You could use a Mexican blend cheese or maybe a Monterey pepper jack but shredded cheddar is the best.
Buffalo Wing Sauce
I used Aldi brand hot sauce because to make it’s the same as Franks Red Hot. If you have a different brand of your favorite hot sauce go ahead and use that if you want.
I used fresh crushed garlic but you can also use jarred chopped garlic. Any brand of cream cheese will work as well the mayonnaise. I would not use Miracle Whip or any type of sweet mayo though.
How to make keto buffalo chicken stuffed mushrooms.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Or you can add a piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet.
Step 2: Take out the mushroom stems and using small spoon or melon ball scoop, clean out around the stem to make a little bowl with the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms bowl side down on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 3: Spray the mushroom caps with nonstick cooking spray and place in the preheated oven. Bake mushrooms for 15 minutes. Below is what they look like when they come out of the oven.
Step 4: While the mushrooms are cooking make the buffalo chicken stuffing. In a medium bowl add the drained chicken from the can. Next add softened cream cheese, ¾ of the cheddar cheese, hot sauce, mayonnaise and garlic. Mix well to combine. You can add a little more hot sauce if you want a bit more heat.
Step 5: When the mushrooms are done and have a cooled enough to be handled, stuff the caps with chicken mixture. Then top them with the remaining shredded cheese.
Step 6: Place the baking tray in the oven and cook mushrooms for 15-20 minutes until everything melts and they get golden brown. Let them cool and serve. Cooking times may vary.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or you can also freeze them. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
If you have leftover buffalo chicken stuffing.
This is my go to buffalo chicken dip and if you have leftover stuffing, you can spoon it into a bowl and microwave for 5 minutes to make a dip. You can also use this to stuff poblano, jalapeno or even sweet bell peppers.
When I just made them again today I had leftover stuffing and filled about half of ramekin. I microwaved it and ate it with celery sticks for lunch!
Other tasty low carb appetizers to try.
Over the years I’ve made quite a few low carb appetizers and snacks on this blog and here are a few of my favorite recipes you might like.
- keto jalapeno poppers with bacon
- low carb sausage and cheese stuffed poblanos
- keto spinach artichoke stuffed mushrooms and chicken stuffed poblanos
- low carb meatball sub cups
- air fryer kielbasa bites
- low carb roast beef sliders and turkey bacon ranch sliders
These make for great low carb finger foods for parties but my husband and I ate them for a low carb dinner last night watching the play offs!
Well I hope you like these low carb stuffed mushrooms as much as we do. I’ve made them 3 times already! The nutrition facts for 1 low carb stuffed mushroom is:
60 cals / 4.4g fat / 0.5g carbs / 0.1g fiber / 4.7g protein = 0.4g net carbs
- 40 fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonaise
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Take out stems from mushrooms and scoop out a little of the middle to make a cup. Lay them upside down (cup face down) on the prepared baking sheet. Spray tops with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime make your buffalo chicken mixture. Mix together ¾cup of the cheddar cheese, softened cream cheese, mayo, garlic, cooked chicken and buffalo sauce. If using canned chicken make sure to drain all the liquid first.
- When the mushrooms are cooked and have cooled a bit, fill the caps with the buffalo chicken mixture and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place baking sheet back in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes or the cheese is melted. Let cool before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
- If you have leftover stuffing you can spoon it into a microwave safe ramekin or bowl and microwave for 5 minutes until everything has melted. You can eat this as a dip with clelery sticks or other veggies for a low carb snack. Or serve with tortilla chips if you are not low carb. You can also freeze it for another time.
The nutrition facts for 1 low carb stuffed mushroom is: 60 cals / 4.4g fat / 0.5g carbs / 0.1g fiber / 4.7g protein = 0.4g net carbs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Unsaturated Fat: 0g
You might also like my friend Taryn’s Buffalo chicken meatballs!