If you need a quick and easy low carb side dish, try this spicy stir fried cabbage. It only takes about 15 minutes to make and is full of flavor. You only need 4 ingredients and each serving has only 41 calories and 4.2g net carbs!
You might also like lo mein using veggie noodles.
Cabbage is a great food to eat on a low carb diet. It’s low in calories and carbs and it pairs well with all kinds of flavorful sauces. It has a nice crunchy texture for slaws and salads but when sliced thin and cooked it’s a good low carb pasta substitute.
Today I was looking for a quick side dish and put together this spicy stir fried cabbage side dish. It’s low carb and only took 15 minutes to make.
You only need 3 ingredients to make the low carb Asian sauce but it adds so much flavor. This side dish would go great with any kind of meaty main dish and I have some suggestions below.
Recipe ingredients I used.
You only need 4 ingredients to make this dish – green cabbage, soy sauce, brown sugar sweetener and chili garlic oil.
No need for salt and black pepper because you get enough with the soy sauce and heat from the chili oil. But feel free to season with both if you want. Also I used regular but you can use light soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce if you prefer.
If you like to make your own Chinese stir fries, I highly recommend buying a jar. It adds so much spice and flavor. It provides the flavors of garlic cloves, shallots, onions and heat from chiles all in one product.
I like Swerve brown sugar sweetener and used it instead of regular brown sugar because I wanted to keep the carbs down. However if you don’t care, just use regular. Or you can use a different brand of brown sugar sweetener.
And lastly I used regular green cabbage but you can also use red or purple cabbage (great for color), savoy cabbage or Napa cabbage. However the last two will take less time to cook because they are more tender and delicate.
How to make keto spicy stir fried cabbage.
Step 1: lice or chop the raw cabbage into large pieces and place into a microwaveable bowl. Rinse the cabbage with water while in the bowl and then drain. Leave some of the water in there to help steam. Place the bowl into the microwave and cook for 4-5 minutes to soften.
Step 2: Meanwhile get out a large skillet and heat to medium heat. Add the sauce ingredients – brown sugar sweetener, soy sauce and chili garlic oil. Mix them well and stir for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves and makes a sauce.
Step 3: Once the cabbage is done and has softened, add it to the sauce mixture and combine well. Cover and cook over medium heat for up 5 minutes or until it has the texture you like. Let cool before serving.
If you wanted to you could garnish with some sesame seeds at the end.
Store this leftover delicious cabbage stir fry in an airtight container. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
Note I used a large non-stick pan for this dish but next time I was to try a cast iron skillet. I think it will caramelize the cabbage and add even more flavor.
When I made this we ate it with this flank steak recipe and I also made steamed rice and a nice green salad. If you wanted to you could add various meats to the dish like cooked chicken, beef or shrimp to this and eat it as is.
Below are a few main dish suggestions to try.
What to serve with this cabbage stir fry.
Of course this would be the perfect side dish to go with any Asian flavored main dish. But it would also go with just a meaty main dish regardless of the sauce.
- Asian salmon, chicken legs or chicken wings
- shredded Asian beef or spicy flank steak stir fry
- coconut crusted chicken or coconut crusted shrimp
- air fryer pork chops or orange and ginger pork kebabs
Well if you are looking for a quick and easy keto side dish, give this spicy stir fried cabbage a try. It’s a flavorful dish and only takes about 15 minutes to make. Enjoy!
The nutritional information for 1 serving is 41 calories / 1.3g fat / 6.7g carbs / 2.5g fiber / 2.1g protein = 4.2g net carbs
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili oil
- 2 tablespoons Swerve brown sugar sweetener
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and black pepper, optional
- Chop cabbage and place in a microwaveable bowl. Rinse cabbage in the bowl and drain most of the water out. Let a little bit of the water to remain as it will help steam the cabbbage. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes or until it has softened.
- In the meantime get out a large skillet or pan and heat to medium heat. Add the sweetener, chili oil and soy sauce. Whisk until the sweetener dissolves and you have a nice rich sauce. Add the cooked cabbage, and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until the sauteed cabbage is cooked to your liking. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if you think it needs it. Take off the stove and serve.
- You can eat it with cauliflower rice or white rice and a nice green salad. You could also add cooked chicken, beef or shrimp as well.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
The nutrtional information for 1 serving is 41 calories / 1.3g fat / 6.7g carbs / 2.5g fiber / 2.1g protein = 4.2g net carbs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 41