If you love barbecue you have to try this slow cooker beef roast that’s cooked all day in a low carb bbq sauce. Just mix up the keto bbq sauce and use half to cook the pot roast in and use the rest for a dipping sauce. This is another easy low carb dinner that your family will love. Each serving has only 2.6g net carbs.
You might also like this low carb bbq chicken in the slow cooker recipe!
I’ve been wanted to make this bbq beef roast for a long time. I remember my next door neighbor growing up making a bbq brisket for us and I thought it was so delicious. That was my inspiration for this slow cooker bbq beef roast for which I had to come up with a low carb bbq sauce recipe.
The sauce is thick and spicy which worked perfectly with the chuck roast. I cooked it down all day and then just sliced it for dinner. However you can also shred it to make shredded bbq beef. Either way is easy. Let’s go make some bbq.
Low Carb BBQ Sauce Recipe
I have a lot of ingredients in this low carb bbq sauce but they are pretty common ingredients you will have in your pantry. The only unusual ingredient is that I used Swerve brown sugar sweetener. It’s become a pretty popular product and you can probably find it in a bigger grocery store.
To make this keto sauce, I whisked all the ingredients in a small pan and cooked it down for about 5 minutes. It gets nice and thick. I would recommend tasting it at this point and if you want it sweeter, add more Swerve brown sugar or if you want it hotter, add more pepper flakes.
Making the BBQ beef Roast in a slow cooker
Once the sauce is done, take half of it and brush it over the roast. Then flip the roast and brush that side with the sauce. Refrigerate the leftover bbq sauce for later. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. The cooking time will depend on your particular slow cooker but roughly 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
Once it’s done, take out the roast and place it on a platter. Slice it and set it aside. Take the liquid from the slow cooker and add it to a pan. Bring it to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes or so to thicken it. Then pour it over the beef roast.
Alternatively you can turn up the heat on the slow cooker once you take out the roast and let the sauce boil in there. It might take longer though.
how to make shredded bbq beef in the slow cooker
I intended to slice this beef roast but if you prefer shredded bbq beef this is how I would do it. Initially cut the beef roast into big chunks and then mix it in half of the low carb bbq sauce. Cook for 8 hours on low heat in the slow cooker.
After cooking it should be soft enough to shred with two forks. Let it sit in the liquid and absorb it for a few minutes.
This low carb barbecue sauce recipe makes a good bit. So you can either use it for the roast or save it for another time. It should keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
Recipe Notes & Tips
- I initially had a 3lb chuck roast but the meat does shrink when cooked. So I used 2.25lbs for my nutritional information. I normally don’t do that with my recipes but this one visibly shrunk so it only made 6 servings. You can learn more about meat shrinking when cooking here.
- Since you only use 1/2 of the sugar free bbq sauce for the roast, the rest can be refrigerated in a sealed container for a few weeks in the refrigerator.
- If you want more of a smokey taste, try a smokey paprika instead of regular and/or liquid smoke when making the low carb barbecue sauce.
- For a shredded bbq beef instead of sliced, cut it up into big chunks and mix with the sauce at the beginning. Cook on low for 8 hours then shred it with two forks in the crock. Mix in the liquid and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
- If you don’t have Swerve brown sugar, you can use another low carb brown sugar substitute or just a plain sugar sweetener.
The nutritional information for 1 serving is:
436 cals / 28.6g fat / 3.9g carbs / 1.3g fiber / 45.4g protein = 2.6g net carbs
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons Swerve brown sugar sweetener
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add all the ingredients except the chuck roast to a small pan. Whisk to mix it well and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the chuck roast in the slow cooker and take half of the bbq sauce and brush both sides of the roast.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Take the roast out of the slow cooker and set aside.
- Pour the liquid that's remaining into a small pot and boil down for 5 - 10 minutes until it thickens a little.
- Meanwhile slice your roast and when the sauce is done, pour over the meat.
- Use the other half of the bbq sauce you made at the beginning to dip your meat in or save for another recipe.
- NOTE: If you would prefer shredded bbq beef, cut the roast into big chunks at the beginning. This will help it cook evenly. When the roast is done, shred the meat and mix it with the liquid in the crock. Let it sit in the liquid for about 5 minutes to absorb the sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Swerve Sweetener, Brown Bundle, 12 oz pack of 2
Hunt's Tomato Paste No Salt Added, Keto Friendly, 6 oz, 12 Pack
Stubb's Hickory Liquid Smoke, 5 OZ
365 Everyday Value, Organic Worcestershire Sauce, 5 fl oz
Frontier Herb Mustard Seed - Yellow - Ground - 1.76 oz
Frontier Smoked Ground Bottle, Paprika, 1.87 Ounce
Frontier Organic Spices, Onion Powders, 2.1 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Frontier Seasoning Blends Chili Powder, 2.08-Ounce Bottle
Spice World, ORGANIC GARLIC - LARGE Container - 32 OZ
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 28.6gCarbohydrates: 3.9gNet Carbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: 1.3gProtein: 45.4g