If you love breakfast casseroles try this keto breakfast skillet casserole. It’s super easy to make and you do it all in one pan! Perfect low carb comfort food and great for feeding a crowd or for low carb breakfast meal prep. This low carb and high protein breakfast has just 5.6g net carbs and 23.5g protein!
You might also like this spaghetti squash low carb breakfast casserole.
Recently I bought a few delicata squash at a farmers market and after making delicata fries, wanted to make a breakfast casserole. To me a delicata squash tastes like a butternut squash with a potato texture. I thought it would be a good substitute for a breakfast casserole with potatoes.
So today I’m sharing with you this keto breakfast skillet casserole. It’s a mixture of eggs, ground turkey sausage (homemade), peppers, onions, squash and cheese. It’s has it all! This big skillet of breakfast yumminess has all the flavors you expect in a baked breakfast casserole.
his is the kind of dish you can eat as breakfast for dinner or even lunch. I like it because it’s hearty but low carb and it also has the added benefit of be high in protein. This would be great for feed a hungry family on the holidays or as freezer meals for those on a low carb diet.
Recipe ingredients I used.
First of all I used my ground turkey sausage recipe but you could use a pound of breakfast sausage if you want to simplify things. So the simple ingredients I used were homemade ground turkey sausage, olive oil, bell peppers, onion, eggs, delicata squash and sharp cheddar cheese.
The turkey sausage consists of ground turkey, brown sugar sweetener, paprika, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and sage. But like I said you can always use a roll of Bob Evan’s breakfast sausage as a substitute.
The delicata is my substitute for potatoes in this recipe. You could use another squash like zucchini or butternut squash. Also turnips and radishes would work too. Or you can just skip it entirely.
How to make this keto breakfast skillet recipe.
- Get out a large skillet and heat to medium high heat. Add the ground turkey and seasonings (or breakfast sausage.) Turn the heat down to medium heat and cook.
- Once the meat has almost browned take it out of the skillet and set aside. Add the olive oil and squash. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the peppers and onion and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Once the veggies have softened add back the sausage and mix well. In a separate mixing bowl beat the eggs and pour them over the sausage mixture. Let them sit for a few minutes then mix them in with the rest of the ingredients. Note if you want to add a little more richness or spread the eggs further you can add a bit of heavy cream.
- Once the eggs are mostly cooked through, sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Cover with a lid and turn off the heat. Let the pan sit like that for a minute or so to let the cheese melt. You can also place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese.
- Take off the stove and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container or in freezer safe containers if using for meal prep.
And that is all there is to it. I froze portions for a quick low carb lunch or dinner since my husband and son don’t eat eggs. Please scroll down for the printable recipe card.
Below you can see what it looks like when it’s done. To me it has everything you would want for a bit comfort breakfast on a keto diet. I plan on having this over the holidays like Christmas morning while my family is noshing on bagels!
Recipe notes and substitutions.
- As I mentioned above you can just use ground pork breakfast sausage that comes in a roll. I wanted to use the ground turkey to cut down on the fat and calories but it’s not necessary to do.
- Also you might not be able to find the delicata squash so you can either substitute with butternut squash, zucchini, turnips, radishes, celery root or just eliminate it from the recipe. All of these are good substitutes for potatoes.
- I used onions and peppers as that is my favorite for omelettes but you can use any veggies you like mushrooms, broccoli, green bell pepper, fresh spinach etc.
- Lastly if you prefer you can use bacon, Canadian bacon or ham instead of the sausage if you prefer that.
More delicious keto breakfast recipes to try.
Here are some of more breakfast ideas and my personal favorite recipes for a keto breakfast.
- keto cream cheese pancakes and bacon pancakes
- low carb blueberry waffles
- keto breakfast cookies (savory) and veggie or meat lovers versions.
- fried turnips and radishes with bacon (low carb hash browns)
- crustless ham and spinach keto quiche
- low carb breakfast pizza
Well I hope you give this delicious keto breakfast skillet meal a try. It’s great for a crowd or for a brunch with no baking. Even if you are just making it for yourself you can freeze portions for another day. Enjoy!
The nutritional information for 1 serving is 338 calories / 24.4g fat / 6.7g carbs / 1.1g fiber / 23.5g protein = 5.6g net carbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 8 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup delicata squash, small cubes
Homemade turkey sausage***
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Swerve brown sugar sweetener
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- If making your own turkey sausage heat up a large skillet to medium high heat. Once hot, turn the heat down to medium heat and add the ground turkey and sausage spices. (***if using grocery store breakfast sausage roll use that in this step instead of the turkey and spices. You will need 1 pound of sausage.)
- Once the meat is mostly browned, take it out of the skillet and set aside. Add the olive oil and delicata squash. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the onion and peppers. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more until they have softened and the onions are translucent. Then add back the sausage and mix again.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and then pour over the vegetable mixture. Let sit for a minute or two then mix in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the eggs are mostly cooked, sprinkle the cheddar cheese over top and place the lid on the skillet. Turn of the heat and let the cheese melt. You can also place it under the broiler if you want it to brown.
- Let cool then serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container or freeze portions for a low carb meal.
***You can substute 1 pound roll of ground pork breakfast sausage instead of the ground turkey and spices. You can also use bacon or ham as a substitute.
****Substitutes for the delicata squash would be butternut squash, zucchini, turnips, radishes or celergy root. Or you can leave it out altogether.
The nutritional infor for 1 serving as prepared with the turkey is 338 calories / 24.4g fat / 6.7g carbs / 1.1g fiber / 23.5g protein = 5.6g net carbs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338