This curried cauliflower salad is packed with healthy ingredients like yogurt, goji berries, cashews, etc. & full of flavor for the perfect Paleo side dish.Summer is almost over and I still didn’t try to make the delicious curried chicken salad I had back in my college days. However I did give it a try with cauliflower and OMG it was good. While cauliflower is a great substitute for most potato dishes, it’s never quite worked for me in potato salad. This dish, however it works like a dream. There is so much color and flavor that you will be satisfying many different tastes. You have the sweetness of the cashews, carrots and goji berries. You have the fresh green of cilantro and of course the tangy spiciness of the curry yogurt dressing. This curried cauliflower salad is one of my favor dishes right now.
This recipe is quite simple. I cooked the cauliflower in the microwave for about 5 minutes to get it softer but not mushy. Once it was cooled I add the other ingredients and mixed my dressing and just tossed. It tastes better once it’s refrigerated for a while but you can eat it right away if you want.
I used the above hot curry spice I got from England when we lived there. It’s a bit past it’s prime but I like it because it’s hot but not too hot. You can use any curry powder you have on hand and increase the heat as you see fit. The yogurt will cool it down a bit. Also I made a note in the recipe that if you want a bit more sweetness you can add 2 teaspoons of whatever sugar you like (white, coconut, Splenda, etc.). I liked having just the sweetness of the berries but some might like it a bit sweeter. I also think you could use 2 Tablespoons of orange juice and that would taste good too.
Curried Cauliflower Salad With Cashews
Well I hope you like this recipe as much as I did. I was surprised at how tasty it came out to be honest and the colors are so pretty to me that I know I will be make this more and more in the future. Enjoy!
Curried Cauliflower Salad with Cashews (Paleo)
- ½ red onion chopped
- ½ of a head of cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup of celery and celery leaves chopped
- ¼ cup grated or julienned carrots
- ¼ cup dried goji berries can use raisins
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
Add your cauliflower pieces to a microwave safe dish and cook for 5 minutes. Let cool.
Mix your dressing by combining the mayo, yogurt and curry powder.
Add cooled cauliflower, onion, berries, carrots and celery to a large bowl. Add dressing and cilantro leaves and mix well.
Add cashews and mix through.
Note: If you desire a sweeter dressing, add 2 teaspoons of sweetener (such as coconut sugar, white sugar, Splenda, etc.)
* The Paleo diet does not include dairy products and I do in many of my recipes. I tend to follow a modified Paleo / Primal /Low Carb diet and use the principles of all three. Dairy is a high protein food group with plenty of nutrition that I feel is valuable in our families’ diet not to mention that it tastes great. Here is an interesting article about full fat dairy products from Mark Sisson who started the whole Primal movement. So if you can not tolerate dairy products or you are a strict Paleo enthusiast, my apologies. Going forward I will be more cautious with how I label my recipes.