This crunchy Asian parsnip & carrot salad is fresh and tasty and you can make it in minutes. Lots of crunch from veggies, seeds and nuts tossed in an Asian dressing. I don’t know why I was in the mood for parsnips, but I was. It’s not a vegetable I eat very much but for some reason I thought it would be great to make noodles with along with some carrots. Maybe it was divine parsnip intervention, I don’t know, but it turned out great. It was very similar to my Asian noodle salad but it definitely tastes different because of the parsnips. With the addition of pepitas and cashews, this is one crunchy salad!
While I usually use my spiralizer to make veggie noodles, for these particular vegetables my handheld Pampered Chef Julienne Peeler worked better (pictured below). The thing about the spiralizer is that it makes noodles from the outside of a vegetable and works is way toward the middle and it leaves a core. So when you make zucchini noodles, you will be left with a long core from the middle of the zucchini. Add when you use carrots with this machine, you need to use fat carrots to get enough noodles from it.Both my carrots and parsnips were on the small and thin side so the spiralizer wasn’t going to work. The peeler makes long strips which worked perfectly for this salad. To make this tasty salad, you start with the veggie noodles. If you don’t have a julienne peeler or spiralizer, just use a potato peeler to make your noodle or cut them by hand. (This is something I would never have the patience to do but if you do, go for it.) Next you want to whisk your Asian dressing using soy, honey, ginger, garlic, vinegar and sesame oil. Put your noodles, seeds and nuts in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.
Crunchy Asian Parsnip & Carrot Salad
And there you have the world’s crunchiest Asian salad know to man. The unique combination of carrots and parsnips work great together to give this salad it’s crunch and zing. Also it tastes even better the next day. It does not get soggy at all. I also ate it one day with pieces of chicken and it made a delicious meal. So I hope you like this crunchy salad. I think it will be something new to try for the summer. Enjoy!
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon white balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 parsnips, made into noodles
- 4 carrots, made into noodles
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup cashews
- Make your carrots and parsnips into noodles using a spiralizer, julienne peeler or potato peeler.
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, olive oil, rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic, honey and sesame oil.
- In a large bowl, add your veggie noodles, green onions, pumpkin seeds, cilantro and cashews.
- Mix well with the dressing.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Tastes great the next day too.