These Parmesan garlic veggie fries are a tasty side dish or healthy snack and a healthy alternative to potatoes. Oven roasted and topped with salty cheese make these a delicious and healthy dish! You can also make this healthy vegetable fries recipe in the air fryer!
You might also like these easy roasted curry carrots.
Now I’m expanding my horizons to veggie fries. I had a few parsnips and even some rutabaga so I thought I’d give it a try. I roasted them in the oven and also made them in the air fryer so I have instructions for both below.
Of course when you add garlic and Parmesan flavors you can probably roast anything and it will taste great, but I really enjoyed this delicious snack and would definitely make them again. Plus they are an easy way to get some of your daily veggie count!
Recipe ingredients I used.
The simple ingredients I used were a variety of vegetables cut like fries, olive oil, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and parmesan cheese. Originally I made these with fresh garlic but now I used the powdered spice. If you prefer fresh garlic feel free to use that.
The vegetables I used today were carrots, parsnips, green beans, yellow zucchini and rutabagas. I’ve also made this with celeriac (celery root), turnips, asparagus, butternut squash, sweet potato, etc. You can use whatever veggies you want but the root vegetables work well.
If you are dairy free you can substitute nutritional yeast for the parmesan cheese. And didn’t use any kind of breadcrumbs or flour so these healthy vegetable fries are gluten free too!
How to make roasted veggie fries.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450°F and spray a baking tray with nonstick cooking spray. You can also line the baking sheet with parchment paper but I like them when they get brown and crusty just from the pan.
Step 2: Cut the vegetables into uniform sized fries. You can see the size I cut them in the photo above. A good mandoline will make perfectly cut fries if you have one. This Prepworks veggie chopper is my favorite tool for making fries.
Step 3: Place the harder vegetables in the microwave and cook for about 5 minutes to soften a bit. (I would do this for carrots, green beans, rutabaga, celeriac, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, broccoli stems, etc.)
Do not precook softer veggies like zucchini.
Step 4: Add all of the vegetable sticks to a large mixing bowl and mix together with the olive oil and all the spices. Mix well to coat them all over. Then spread them out in a single layer on the prepared baking tray.
Step 5: Roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the vegetables are browned and fork tender.
All you need to do is plate them up and sprinkle a bit more cheese if you like.
Below you can see what they look like. You can eat them as is or dip them in a garlic aioli, ranch or avocado dip. Store leftover in an airtight container. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
How to make these veggie fries in the air fryer.
To make these in the air fryer you will cut up the vegetables like above accept you would not precook any of them. Also mix them all with olive oil and spices accept the zucchini if using.
The spray the basket of the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Spread out the veggies in the basket as best you can and cook at 400°F for 15 minutes. Take them out and add the zucchini. Try to flip them or mix around then continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
Check them and if they are golden brown and to you liking they are done!
More delicious and healthy vegetable side dishes to try.
I love using vegetables in so many different ways but here are a few of my favorite recipes. Also this is a link to all of my vegetable side dish recipes.
- Lo Mein using veggie noodles
- decadent roasted cauliflower mash
- scalloped turnips
- spicy roasted potatoes
- Thai eggplant curry
These delicious veggie fries were a really nice change of pace from regular potato fries and a good way to use left over vegetables you have in your refrigerator. Enjoy!
- 5 cups of vegetables cut into fries, I used carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, green beans and summer squash, sweet potatoes, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Microwave harder veggies for about 5 minutes to soften a bit. (I would do this for carrots, green beans, celeriac, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, broccoli stems, etc.) Not zucchini which will get too soft.
- Toss veggies with olive oil, spices and parmesan cheese.
- Spread evenly in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the veggies start to brown and are cooked through.
To make in the air fryer.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Season all of the vegetables except zucchini if using. Add the seasoned veggie fries to the air fryer basket except zucchini.
- Set the temperature to 400°F and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off add the zucchini if using and mix around.
- Continue to cook for 10 more minutes until the fries are golden brown and fork tender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 356mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 8g