An easy and tasty meal, this shredded chicken is full of flavor from tomatillos, banana peppers, limes and spices. Tastes great over rice, in tortillas or as is!
Last summer we grew tomatillos for the first time and boy did we have the tomatillos. They grew like crazy and we just didn’t know what to do with them, so I froze them. Here it is about a year later and I have two big bags of tomatillos taking up precious space in my freezer so I thought I’d try to make something with them. I also had a bunch of banana peppers left from this years crop. They were a little too small to stuff so I put them in a slow cooker with the tomatillos and chicken to make this delicious shredded chicken verde.
I want to start making more and more slow cooker recipes. It’s so nice to throw things in and coming back hours later to a delicious dinner. Plus, depending on the dish, it can make your house spell great! So for this recipe I added a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a package of boneless, skinless chicken breast to the bottom of the slow cooker. On top I added some quartered tomatillos, chopped banana peppers, lime juice, onions, garlic and spices and let all that goodness cook all day. It smelled fantastic and I couldn’t wait to try it when it was done.
For dinner we ate this in big bowls. I offered my family their choice of tortillas, rice and black beans. For garnish we had cilantro and avocados. My son ate it with the tortillas and my husband made a big rice bowl with the rice and beans. I just ate it as is with cilantro and avocado. Oh yeah, my hubby and I added a squeeze of lime on top. Don’t forget the lime!
This made a huge batch. My husband took some for work the next day and I still had enough left over for another meal so I froze it for another night. I hope you get a chance to make this tasty shredded chicken dish. Enjoy!
Nutrition per serving: 168 cal / 1.3g fat / 8.9g carbs / 3.1g fiber / 6.9g protein = 5.8g Net Carbs
- 3 lbs chicken (breasts and thighs, boneless, skinless)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lb tomatillos, cleaned and quartered
- 10 banana peppers, seeded and chopped
- avocado and cilantro to garnish and a squeeze of lime
- Add your chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- On top, add all your tomatillos and banana peppers.
- In a small bowl, add our lime juice and spices and pour over the chicken and veggies.
- Let cook on low all day. Mine took 8 hours.
- Shred chicken and mix well.
- Server over rice, in tortillas, or as is.
- Garnish with a squeeze of lime, cilantro, avocados and/or sour cream. (I would definitely suggest the squeeze of lime and cilantro though.)