This Mexican chili meatloaf is based n my mother’s chili. It’s a delicious change from everyday meatloaf and is grain free.Meatloaf is a fairly regular dish around our house. I usually make my Turkey Veggie Meatloaf because it’s very healthy and full of veggies. But today I wanted to make something different. I also wanted to keep it gluten free because I just don’t do well with wheat (breadcrumbs in this case). So I decided to try to make my meatloaf as I do my chili. That is use the same ingredients that I put in my chili, into my Mexican Chili Meatloaf. It was a success and nice twist from my usual meatloaf.
When I make my chili, I use onions, green peppers, garlic, ground beef and lot of seasonings. So that’s what I did here. I minced the onion, pepper and garlic in my mini food processor so there wouldn’t be big chunks of veggies in the meatloaf. To that I added the spices and a bit of the salsa as well as egg and almond flour. In my traditional meatloaf I use breadcrumbs but I wanted to keep this gluten free so the almond flour works great. Lastly I took the rest of the salsa and spread it all over the meatloaf and baked. Below is this loaf o’ meat.
I decided to add cheddar cheese and placed it back in the oven for 5 minutes to melt. Everything’s better with cheddar, right?
Mexican Chili Meatloaf
I garnished this with some green onions just for color but I do like onions on my chili so why not. You could even top with sour cream or more salsa if you wish. This was very moist and tasty. I forgot to mention that I used both pork and beef in this recipe because I think the pork gives it more flavor. Well I hope you like this little twist on your everyday meatloaf. I know my family did, so enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup green pepper finely chopped
- 3 small coves garlic
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 green onion, sliced for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place foil on a cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a food processor add your onion, garlic and green peppers and process until they are finely minced. Can also do this by hand if you wish but pieces should be very small.
- Add this to your beef and pork, along with the egg, almond flour, spices and ¼ cup of salsa.
- Form into an oval loaf and place on your cookie sheet.
- Use remaining salsa (1/4 cup) and spread evenly over meatloaf.
- Bake for ½ hour.
- Sprinkle cheese if using and bake another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if using and serve with extra salsa or sour cream if you wish.