This low carb Mexican meatloaf is based n my mother’s chili. It’s a delicious change from everyday meatloaf and is grain free. Each serving has only 3.9g net carbs and it’s very easy to make!
You might also like my low carb meatloaf stuffed portobello mushrooms!
Meatloaf is a fairly regular dish around our house. I usually make my turkey veggie meatloaf because it’s very healthy and full of veggies. But today I wanted to make something different. I also wanted to keep it gluten free because I just don’t do well with wheat (breadcrumbs in this case). So I decided to try to make my meatloaf as I do my chili. That is use the same ingredients that I put in my chili, into my low carb Mexican meatloaf. It was a success and nice twist from my usual meatloaf.
Low Carb Mexican Meatloaf Ingredients
When I make my chili, I use onions, green peppers, garlic, ground beef and lot of seasonings. So that’s what I used in this low carb meatloaf along with ground pork, salsa and cheddar cheese too.
To keep this meatloaf low carb and gluten free, I use almond flour instead of breadcrumbs. It works out great as a low carb meatloaf binder. So if you are looking for a low carb meatloaf with no pork rinds, try this.
Low Carb Mexican Meatloaf Recipe
- First mince the onion, pepper and garlic in a mini food processor so there won’t be big chunks of veggies in the meatloaf.
- Place that mixture in a large bowl with the meat.
- To that add the spices and a bit of the salsa as well as egg and almond flour.
- Mix it together with your hands and then form into a meatloaf shape and place on a foil lined cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Lastly spread the remaining salsa over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.
- Take it out of the oven, sprinkle the cheddar cheese if using and place back in the oven to melt the cheese – about 5 minutes.
I garnished this with some green onions just for color but I do like onions on my chili so why not. You could even top with sour cream or more salsa if you wish.
This Mexican meatloaf was very moist and tasty. Well I hope you like this little twist on your everyday meatloaf. Who know making a meatloaf with salsa would turn out so good! Enjoy! The nutritional information for 1 piece of meatloaf is:
516 cals / 34.7g fat / 6.1g carbs / 2.2g fiber / 43 g protein = 3.9g net carbs
And for more great low carb Mexican flavor, try my friend Julianne’s Keto Taco Casserole. It’s delicious!
Mexican Chili Meatloaf
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup green pepper finely chopped
- 3 small coves garlic
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese optional
- 2 green onion sliced for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place foil on a cookie sheet, spray with cooking spray and set aside.
In a food processor add your onion, garlic and green peppers and process until they are finely minced. Can also do this by hand if you wish but pieces should be very small.
Add this to your beef and pork, along with the egg, almond flour, spices and ¼ cup of salsa.
Form into an oval loaf and place on your cookie sheet.
Use remaining salsa (¼ cup) and spread evenly over meatloaf.
Bake for ½ hour.
Sprinkle cheese if using and bake another 5 minutes.
Garnish with green onions if using and serve with extra salsa or sour cream if you wish.