This classic spinach salad goes perfectly with a keto hot bacon dressing recipe. The flavor combination of bacon, eggs and vegetables topped with the warm, salty and sweet dressing to make the perfect winter salad. It’s low carb and sugar free too. Each serving has only 3.4g net carbs.
You might also like this low carb festive winter spinach salad.
This is one of my favorite salads and I regularly buy already washed baby spinach from Aldi so I can have a spinach salad at a moments notice. But to have a classic spinach salad you have to have all the components: spinach, red onions, fresh mushrooms, hard boiled eggs and of course crunchy bacon. What a great combination.
You also need a good hot bacon salad dressing to make it a wilted spinach salad. So I made a low carb version using sugar free maple syrup. This keto hot bacon dressing recipe is now my quick and easy, go to spinach salad dressing because it only takes a few minutes to make and tastes so good.
How to make keto hot bacon dressing recipe.
If I didn’t care about carbs, I would use a good maple syrup in this dressing. However maple syrup is really just a sugar so it doesn’t fit into my low carb diet.
Luckily I found this low carb Lakanto maple flavored syrup. It uses monk fruit for sweetness and only has 0.5g net carbs per tablespoon so it’s perfect for this dressing.
So all you need to make this bacon dressing is the bacon drippings, Lakanto maple syrup, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper. You can use other vinegars such as white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. Also if you don’t carb about carbs use regular maple syrup.
When you make the bacon for the salad, just save the grease and whisk it together with the other ingredients and that is it!
Classic spinach salad ingredients.
Most spinach salads use baby spinach leaves, sliced white button mushrooms, thinly sliced red onions, hard boiled eggs and crispy bacon pieces.
That being said feel free to add cucumbers, radishes, peppers, olives, avocado or whatever you want. You could also try adding some nuts like walnuts or pecans. Also cheese like, goat cheese, blue cheese or feta cheese would work well.
You could also add some cooked chicken or shrimp to make this even more of a complete meal or dinner.
How to make the classic spinach salad.
- Fry bacon any way you want. Whether you make it in a skillet or the microwave make sure to save the grease for the dressing. Place them on a piece of paper towel and pour the grease into a small bowl. (This recipe calls for 3 tablespoons so make sure you make enough bacon to get 3 tablespoons of bacon grease.)
- To make the hot dressing: In a small bowl, mix the 3 tablespoons of bacon grease, 4 tablespoons of the Lakanto maple flavored syrup and 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper too.
- In a large salad bowl add the fresh spinach, sliced onions and mushrooms. Add the dressing and mix well. You can heat up the dressing in the microwave for about 20 seconds if need to as it will wilt the salad greens a bit.
- Top with sliced hard boiled eggs and bacon bits. If you want you can chop up the eggs instead of slicing them.
- If you are making this dish in advance, don’t dress the salad greens until ready to eat. Again you might have to heat up the dressing if you serve this later on. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
More delicious keto salad dressing to try.
I love, love, love salads and so many keto salad recipes. With the I have quite a few good keto salad dressings. Here are few of my favorite recipes.
- low carb blue cheese
- low carb red roquefort
- keto dairy free ranch
- keto creamy parmesan
- low carb Big Mac special sauce dressing
- keto creamy French
- low carb sesame ginger and honey ginger
Recipe Notes and Tips
- If you don’t care about carbs, you will want to use 4 teaspoons of good maple syrup in this dressing.
- If you can’t find the Lakanto syrup, you can use other types of sugar free maple syrup if you want too.
- Originally I used a white balsamic vinegar that was very good but had a few more carbs. So if you want to try a different vinegar that would be fine just account for the carbs.
- If you don’t like the idea of using bacon grease you can use your favorite oil and maybe add a little extra bacon in your salad.
I hope you like this simple spinach salad and hot bacon dressing recipe. It’s a nice hearty salad to eat on it’s own as a meal but can be a lovely side salad to serve with a simpler dinner too. This recipes makes about 4 servings.
The nutritional information for 1 serving of the salad is 256 calories / 19.6g fat / 7.3g carbs / 2.9g fiber / 12.4g protein = 4.4g net carbs
The nutritional information for the salad dressing is (1 tablespoon): 36 calories / 3.5g fat / 1.1g carbs / 0.9g fiber = 0.2g net carbs
Spinach Salad with Keto Hot Bacon Dressing (low carb & Paleo)
This is a keto spinach salad with low carb warm bacon dressing. Bacon, eggs and veggies topped with the warm, salty and sweet dressing to make the perfect fall salad that is low carb and Paleo too!
- 6 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve the bacon fat when making)
- 4 tablespoons Lakanto maple flavored syrup (low carb)
- 3 Tablespoons bacon grease from cooked bacon
- 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl add the spinach, mushroom slices and onion slices.
- Cook slices of bacon anyway you want and save the grease for the dressing.
- In a small bowl, mixe the grease, vinegar and Lakanto maple syrup together. Season with salt and pepper.
- If the dressing is not warm enough, microwave it for 15 seconds and then pour over the salad and mix well. Then top with sliced eggs and bacon pieces.
- If you are making this dish in advance, don't dress the salad until ready to eat. You might have to heat up the dressing if you serve this later on. Store leftovers in an airtight container.tore leftovers in an airtight container.
The nutritional information for 1 serving is 256 calories / 19.6g fat / 7.3g carbs / 2.9g fiber / 12.4g protein = 4.4g net carbs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Leave a Reply