This is a classic spinach salad with low carb hot maple bacon dressing. Bacon, eggs and veggies topped with the warm, salty and sweet dressing to make the perfect winter salad that is low carb and Paleo too! Each serving has only 3.4g net carbs.
You might also like this low carb festive winter spinach salad.
I love spinach salads. Do you? I regularly buy already washed baby spinach from Aldi so I can have a spinach salad at a moments notice. But to have a classic spinach salad (IMO) you have to have all the components: spinach, red onions, fresh mushrooms, hard boiled eggs and of course crunchy bacon. What a great combination.
You also need a good hot bacon salad dressing and so I made a low carb version. This low carb hot maple bacon dressing is now my quick and easy, go to spinach salad dressing because it only takes a few minutes to make and tastes so good.
Using Low Carb Maple Syrup For The Dressing
If I didn’t care about carbs, I would use a good maple syrup in this dressing. However maple syrup is really just a sugar so it doesn’t fit into my low carb diet. Luckily I found this low carb Lakanto maple flavored syrup. It uses monk fruit for sweetness and only has 0.5g net carbs per tablespoon so it’s perfect for this dressing.
Making The Hot Maple Bacon Dressing Recipe
So the first thing you want to do is make the bacon and save the bacon grease for the dressing. This recipe calls for 3 tablespoons so make sure you make enough bacon to get 3 tablespoons of bacon grease.
To make the hot dressing, mix the 3 tablespoons of bacon grease, 4 tablespoons of the Lakanto maple flavored syrup and 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. You can use other low carb maple syrups or different vinegars if you want but that is what I had on hand.
That’s all there is to this dressing. Whisk it up in a bowl, heat in the microwave until bubbly and then whisk it one more time before tossing the salad with it. Garnish the salad with bacon and eggs and you have a delicious salad for lunch or dinner.
Spinach Salad With Low Carb Hot Maple Bacon Dressing
I hope you like this simple recipe. It’s a nice hearty salad to eat on it’s own but can be a lovely side salad to serve with a simpler dinner too. This recipes makes about 4 servings.
Per serving: 256 calories / 19.6g fat / 7.3g carbs / 3.9g fiber / 12.4g protein = 3.4g net carbs
Recipe Notes And tips
- If you don’t care about carbs, you will want to use 4 teaspoons of good maple syrup in this dressing.
- If you can’t find the Lakanto syrup, you can use other types of sugar free maple syrup if you want too.
- Originally I used a white balsamic vinegar that was very good but had a few more carbs. So if you want to try a different vinegar that would be fine just account for the carbs.
- If you don’t like the idea of using bacon grease you can use your favorite oil and maybe add a little extra bacon in your salad.
The nutritional information for the salad dressing is (1 tablespoon): 36 calories / 3.5g fat / 1.1g carbs / 0.9g fiber = 0.2g net carbs
Spinach Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing (low carb & Paleo)
- 6 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 4 large white mushrooms sliced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs quartered
- 6 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled (reserve the bacon fat when making)
- 4 tablespoons Lakanto maple flavored syrup (low carb)
- 3 Tablespoons bacon grease from cooked bacon
- 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Toss your spinach with the mushrooms and onions.
Save the bacon and eggs for garnish.
To make the dressing, add the bacon fat, vinegar and Lakanto maple syrup to a microwaveable dish. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes until boiling.
Let cool a minute and then toss the salad with hot dressing.
Top with eggs and bacon.