If you like stuffed banana peppers you will love this sausage & peppers soup! It’s so easy to make and VERY flavorful. A tasty, warming low carb and Paleo soup.
My husband loves stuffed banana peppers. We grew them this summer and boy did we hit the pepper jackpot. I even made a stuffed banana pepper pasta for him this summer! Anyway my husband did his last harvest of everything from our garden and I had lots of banana peppers, tomatoes, green peppers and jalapeños to use this week so I thought I’d make this delicious (and extremely easy) soup with the banana peppers and tomatoes. My hubby loved it and I did too. It’s so flavorful without much seasoning. Plus it’s very warming and filling. Perfect for a cold winter day.
Let’s get started with this easy, warming soup! First you want to get your onions, mushrooms and sausage browned in some olive oil. I used hot Italian sausage but if that is too spicy for you, use sweet. I suggest that you keep it Italian though because that’s were you get most of the flavor for this soup. Also I like to make sure the mushrooms slightly browned and the onions translucent. That’s how I like them in soup personally.
Then you add your tomatoes, peppers, broth and bouillon if using. I ADORE Better Than Bouillon (affiliate link) for soups. I learned this trick from a friend along time ago. It adds so much flavor to your soup so I use it often. However if you don’t have any bouillon or don’t like using it, you may want to add some salt and pepper to the soup. Also I used fresh tomatoes not canned but you can use either.
More delicious soup recipes to try!
I hope you give this one a try because it’s a keeper. I wish I had some left I would eat it today as the weather is getting colder and it was so filling. Here is the nutrition for 1 serving.
159 calories / 10.2g fat / 6.1g carbs / 0.8g fiber / 12.2g protein = 5.3g Net Carbs
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used fresh)
- 2 cups chopped banana peppers
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon (optional)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach leaves roughly chopped
- Put your olive oil to a large soup pot.
- Add your onions, mushrooms and sausage and sauté until the sausage is browned. Break up the sausage as you brown it.
- Add in your tomatoes, peppers, broth and bouillon if using.
- Bring to a simmer and cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add your garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add your spinach right when it's done. Mix well and spinach will wilt.
- Serve with grate cheese. (optional)