These low carb sausage stuffed mushrooms are easy to prepare and a delicious appetizer. Perfect to take or serve at a party. Only 1g net carbs each!
First off, I wish this photos were better, but I decided to give these a try right before kickoff last Sunday and well I rushed through the photos. So the idea behind this easy appetizer is to stuff a mushroom with a combination of sausage and cheese. I made a big batch and they all went! These low carb sausage stuffed mushrooms would be great to take to or serve at a party when you wanted to stay on a low carb diet but still wanted to make something everyone would like. They are only 1g net carbs each!
Have you ever heard of hanky pankies? It’s a similar appetizer in which you make a meat and cheese mixture and spread it on a little rye toasts. My mother in law used to make them and they were very tasty. That’s where I got this idea. I wanted to make hanky pankies but didn’t want to eat the bread and so I thought mushrooms would be a great substitute. I changed the mixture a bit. Hanky pankies call for Velveeta cheese which I didn’t have so I used a combination of cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Also I used Italian sausage instead of breakfast sausage. We didn’t miss the bread at all.
To make this easy appetizer, I just cleaned out the middle of the mushrooms with a melon ball scoop and placed them on a sprayed cookie sheet. After 15 minutes in the oven they are ready to be stuffed with the meat mixture which I made while they were baking. The mixture is just ground beef, Italian sausage, cream cheese, cheddar and worchestershire sauce. Once the meat is browned and mixed well with the cheese, you let it cool. Next you stuff the mushrooms and top with a little more cheddar. Bake for 15-20 more minutes and they are done.
This batch made about 56 mushrooms but that depends how big your mushrooms are. I used baby portobello mushrooms that I got at Aldi by the way. I used 4 (8 oz) packages. These would also be great for a lunch if you used the meat mixture and stuffed a big portobello. I have a few stuffed portobello posts for you try, like my Philly steak and cheese or my fajita stuffed portobellos. Stuffed portobellos make for a quick and easy low carb meal.
Low Carb Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
That’s all there is to it. I wanted to freeze a few of these to see how they held up but we ate them all! I hope you like this easy, low carb app. The nutrition for one mushroom is:
40 cals / 2.8g fat / 1.1g carbs / 0.1g fiber / 3g protein = 1.0g net carbs
- ½ lb Italian sausage (casings removed)
- ½ ground beef
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons worchestershire sauce
- 4 pints of mushrooms (about 56 mushrooms)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take out the stems and scoop out a little out of the middle of the mushrooms.
- Lay upside down on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime brown the sausage and ground beef in a large skillet.
- Add in the cream cheese and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Then add the worchestershire sauce and mix well.
- When the mushrooms are cooked and cooled, fill with the meat mixture and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place on a sprayed cookie sheet and cook for about 15- 20 minutes or the cheese is melted.
More stuffed mushroom recipes!