This cabbage & peppers kielbasa casserole is a very quick and easy dish that tastes delicious. Roasting the vegetables gives it an added sweetness that contrasts the bit of the kielbasa. Chop, mix, roast and you are done!
I remember as a kid we always had kielbasa on Easter Sunday. I even remember my mom forgetting to buy it once and we went everywhere after church looking for an open grocery store and there was none to be found. So I always think about kielbasa around Easter time. This year I bought my kielbasa early and ended up being invited to 3 Easter dinners so we never ate it. That’s when I thought up this cabbage & peppers kielbasa casserole because I was in the mood for some good kielbasa.
It’s a very simple dish to make as most of my dishes are. I love to roast things in the oven, especially vegetables. It just gives them so much flavor. Today I added cabbage, onions, tomatoes and sweet peppers to my kielbasa and it was delicious. The roasted cabbage, peppers and onions take on a sweetness when roasted which was a wonderful contrasted to the garlicky bite of the kielbasa.
First you want to preheat your oven to 400 F. Spray your baking pan with cooking spray and then start chopping your veggies anyway you like, except for your grape tomatoes. you want to keep those whole so they don’t shrivel up to nothing. Add all the vegetables to your pan and mix in your olive oil and salt and pepper.
Once it is mixed well, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Next take off the foil and cook for another 20 minutes. You want all the veggies to be cooked and starting to brown but not burnt. Add in your kielbasa and cook for another 10-20 minutes until you get the right amount of brownness that you like. (Note if you are gluten free, just make sure your kielbasa or sausage is gluten free.)
cabbage & peppers kielbasa casserole
This is the finished dish. My husband loved it! I was surprised honestly because he’s not a fan of crazy concoctions but he loves just about anything with peppers and onions so I hoping he would like this. We didn’t eat anything else with this meal but I think you could add egg noodles for a haluski type dinner. I hope you give this a try….I think you family will love it. Enjoy!
PS Here is another kielbasa skillet dish I think you will like as it’s very similar but uses potatoes.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups peppers sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ small head of cabbage sliced
- 1 lb Polish kielbas sliced (if gluten free, find a gluten free brand of kielbasa or sausage)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice all of your vegetables except the grape tomatoes. Keep them whole.
- Spray your baking dish with cooking spray and then add your veggies including the tomatoes.
- Add your olive oil and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes covered.
- Take off the foil and cook 20 minutes more uncovered.
- Add kielbasa and cook 10 minutes more or until you get the vegetables as brown as you like.
- Serve as is or add egg noodles for a haluski type meal.
More kielbasa & sausage recipes!