If you crave loaded baked potato soup you will love this keto version. This loaded keto cauliflower soup is creamy and full of flavor with a healthy dose of veggies yet topped with sour cream and bacon bits! It’s a hearty yet healthy soup that would make a great low carb lunch or even dinner. Each serving has just 76 calories and 4.7g net carbs without the toppings.
You might also like this keto loaded broccoli and cauliflower salad.
Sometimes I just get in the mood for a creamy soup like loaded baked potato soup. However I like to keep things low carb so today I made a loaded keto cauliflower soup. Using cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes is the way to go if you are on a low carb diet.
This is creamy soup that has tons of flavor and you don’t have to use any flour, heavy cream or milk. However if you add a few of your favorite toppings like cheese, scallions, bacon bits and sour cream, it is next level good. But as I said it doesn’t need it.
So if you want to cut a few calories as well as carbs skip the toppings and it’s only 76 calories per serving. Serve this with a green salad for a light and healthy dinner. And it only take about 20 minutes so it’s a quick meal as well!
Recipe ingredients I used.
Below you can see that I used the simple ingredients of a head of cauliflower florets, chopped carrots and celery, onion powder, olive oil garlic powder, salt, black pepper and my favorite Better than Bouillon chicken base.
If you’ve been following my blog at all you know I LOVE Better than Bouillon bases for soups, casseroles, gravy etc. They add tons of flavor to dishes, especially soup. I would highly recommend buying some if you like homemade soup.
However if you don’t have any, you can use regular chicken bouillon, chicken stock or broth.
For the toppings I used shredded sharp cheddar cheese, green onion, crispy bacon bits and sour cream. These will add a carb or two to the total as well as some calories so if you are really watching you don’t need them. Below I’ll list the nutrition for the toppings so you can make that decision.
How to make loaded keto cauliflower soup.
Step 1: Get out a soup pot or even a dutch oven and heat to medium high heat. Add some olive oil and the chopped carrots and celery. Turn the heat down to medium heat. Saute for a few minutes to soften the vegetables.
Step 2: Next add in the cauliflower, Better than Bouillon, 4 cups of water and all of the spices. Note I used the bouillon and water but you can also use 4 cups chicken broth or stock but I prefer the BTB. If you want a thicker soup you can use a bit less liquid (water or broth) but it will be creamy from the pureeing.
Mix well and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down a bit, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender.
Step 3: In batches, spoon about half of the cauliflower mixture into a high speed blender like a Vitamix and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Make sure to be careful with the hot liquid in the blender as it could burn you.
Repeat with the second half and then pour everything back into the pot. You can use an immersion blender or food processor but a blender works better to make it smooth.
Step 4: Ladle into bowls and serve along side some toppings like cheddar cheese, green onions, chives, sour cream and or bacon bits. Whatever you want.
As I mentioned above you can just eat it as is or any combination of toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container. This is a good soup to freeze for meal plans, just don’t add any toppings.
Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
Carb counts for soup toppings.
Below are some of the carb and calorie counts for toppings you can put in this soup. I’m not suggesting you use all of these but pick and choose to your liking.
- 1 bacon strip – 43 calories / 0.1g net carbs
- 1 tablespoon sour cream – 30 calories / 1g net carbs
- 1 chopped green onion – 8 calories / 0.8g net carbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives – 0 calories / 0g net carbs
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese – 28 calories / 0.1g net carbs
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese – 22 calories / 0.3g net carbs
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley – 0 calories / 0.1g net carbs
Other creamy keto soups to try.
These are great to make and freeze in individual containers for a quick meal or snack.
When you make a good soup recipe, all you need to add is a green salad or some hearty keto crispbread crackers and you have yourself a light but tasty low carb meal.
Well I hope you give this loaded keto cauliflower soup a try. You will not miss the potatoes and it’s full of flavor without the toppings. Enjoy!
The nutritional info for 1 serving without toppings is 76 calories / 4.3g fat / 8g carbs / 3.3g fiber / 3.2g protein = 4.7g net carbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup carrots, minced
- ¼ cup celery, minced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon chicken base
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Get out a soup pot and heat to medium high heat. Add the olive oil and then the chopped carrots and celery. Stir and turn the heat down to medium. Saute for a few minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients to the pot (cauliflower, Better than Bouillon, water, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder). Mix well and bring to simmer for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Turn off the heat and in batches ladle the cauliflower mixture and liquid into a high speed blender container. Blend on high until smooth and cream. Be careful when blending the hot liquid as it could burn you. Continue in batches until the all of the soup has been pureed. Pour back in the soup pan.
- Serve the soup as is or top with cheddar shredded cheese, sour cream, chives, green onions, bacon bits or whatever you would put on a loaded baked potato. As is it's full of flavor and has less carbs and calories. Check recipe notes for toppings nutritional information.
The nutrition info for 1 serving without toppings is 76 calories / 4.3g fat / 8g carbs / 3.3g fiber / 3.2g protein = 4.7g net carbs
Toppings nutrition information is:
1 bacon strip - 43 calories / 0.1g net carbs
1 tablespoon sour cream - 30 calories / 1g net carbs
1 chopped green onion - 8 calories / 0.8g net carbs
1 teaspoon chopped chives - 0 calories / 0g net carbs
1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese - 28 calories / 0.1g net carbs
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese - 22 calories / 0.3g net carbs
1 teaspoon chopped parsley - 0 calories / 0.1g net carbs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76