If you are looking for a healthy yet rich and delicious soup, this creamy tortellini soup is made with cauliflower cream and packed with awesome flavor. Using cheese tortellini it’s a meatless soup that uses cauliflower instead of cream or cream cheese to make it nice and creamy.
You might also like this keto creamy chicken pot pie soup!
I have a very popular meatball and tortellini soup that I love to make but today I was in the mood for something creamier and without meat. So I came up with this healthy yet creamy tortellini soup. I used cauliflower cream instead of cream cheese, flour or heavy cream.
The result was amazing flavor and it full of healthy ingredients! If you’ve never made cauliflower cream you are going to love this little cooking trick. And you can make this delicious soup in just 30 minutes!
Bonus it’s so hearty you can eat it for a meal. And you don’t have to spend hours making this delicious soup. It’s done in just 30 minutes!
Recipe ingredients I used.
I used a lot of simple ingredients for this awesome soup but they are things you might have on hand in you pantry or refrigerator.
- onion, carrots, celery, fresh baby spinach and cauliflower.
- chicken broth or stock and water
- Better than Bouillon chicken base
- parmesan cheese
- fresh garlic cloves, dried thyme, salt & black pepper
- dried cheese tortellini
- olive oil
I used dried tortellini I bought at Aldi. You could also use fresh cheese tortellini or frozen. I also use fresh cauliflower. I’m not much of a fan of frozen as it gets mushy and watery.
Ways to change up this cheesy tortellini soup recipe.
If you want you can add more veggies to this creamy soup. Peas, peppers, broccoli, corn, kale, mushrooms, really anything would work.
You could also add some protein if you didn’t care about it being a meatless soup. Cooked chicken, Italian sausage, shrimp, clams, etc. would all be nice additions.
You can make this a vegetarian tortellini soup by using vegetable broth, Better than Bouillon vegetable base and cheese tortellini.
Lastly to change up the flavor you can try some sun dried tomatoes and Italian seasonings or fresh basil. Or maybe some cheddar cheese instead of the parmesan and some chives. Lastly Swiss cheese and chunks of ham would go nice with the creamy sauce and tortellinis.
How to make creamy tortellini soup with cauliflower cream.
- Add cauliflower to microwave safe bowl. Rinse the cauliflower and drain the excess. There should still be a bit of water in the bowl. Place in the microwave and cook until for tender. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large soup pot add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat up to medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and let saute until softened. Then add in the chicken stock or broth, water, thyme, salt, black pepper, garlic and tortellini. Mix well and bring to a boil to cook the tortellini. Cooking time may vary so check the package and cook it for a minute less than the directions.
- When the cauliflower is done, place in a blender with a tablespoon of olive oil and parmesan cheese. Blend until it’s like a very thick soup or thin mashed potatoes. If you need to add a tablespoon of water do so. See pictures below for what it should look like.
- Once the tortellini is done, add the cauliflower cream to thicken the soup and add the cheesy and creamy flavors.
- Lastly chop up the fresh spinach and add to the soup. Let it simmer for 1-2 minutes then take off the stove. Season with salt and pepper if it needs it. You can also add some hot pepper flakes for heat. Let cool before ladling soup into bowls with a piece of crusty bread.
Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
And below you can see the finished product. You can add more spinach if you want. I think I will next time. Store the leftovers in an airtight container. You can also freeze this too.
Note that tortellini or any pasta really will suck up more and more of the broth so it’s best to eat this sooner than later.
Other healthy recipes that use cauliflower cream.
I love to use cauliflower cream to thicken soups or add a creamy sauce to casseroles. Here are a few healthy recipes that I use it with.
- low carb chicken and broccoli casserole
- stuffed eggplant with cream sauce (tastes like moussaka)
- paleo clam chowder
- keto chicken pot pie soup
- keto creamy chicken & broccoli soup
- keto cream of mushroom soup
- low carb creamy chicken & spinach soup
Well I really liked this recipe and I think next time I will add some chicken and more spinach. But it’s a hearty soup that is more of a meal and with the extra protein it can be a light dinner.
Luckily I have some leftovers of this amazing soup waiting for me in the freezer. I hope you like it too and it becomes one of your favorite soups! Enjoy!
Creamy Tortellini Soup with Cauliflower Cream
This easy and healthy creamy tortellini soup uses a cauliflower cream sauce to add that creamy texture without using cream or cream cheese. It's healthy comfort food and also a way to sneak in more veggies!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon chicken base
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package cheese tortellini (roughly 8.8 oz)
- Place the cauliflower florets into a microwave safe bowl. Rinse in the bowl and drain the excess water. You want there to be a little bit of water left in the bowl as it helps steam the cauliflower. Cook for 7-8 minutes until fork tender.
- Meanwhile heat up a big soup pot to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then add the carrots, onions and celery. Cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Then add in the broth, Better than Bouillon, thyme, salt, pepper, water and garlic. Mix and simmer for a minute then add in the tortellini. Cook for a minute or so less then the time recommended on the package.
- While that is cooking add the cauilflower to a blender along with the parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to add a tablespoon of water to get it smooth like a thick sauce. It should like pourable mashed potatoes.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to the pot once the tortellini is done. MIx well and add the spinach. Continue to cook for a minute more and it's done.
- Let cool a bit before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 721mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 11g
Can’t wait to make this! The creamed cauliflower is brilliant! Can I substitute gnocchi for the tortellini?
Hi Karen, I have never tried it but I can’t see why not. Sounds delicious actually. Let me know how it goes!
Amy Liu Dong
I always love to have a good soup in every meal, and this one is perfect to make for tonight’s dinner. Yum!