This apricot poblano grilled cheese sandwich has it all. It’s creamy, cheesy, sweet, crunchy, salty and has the fresh taste of poblano peppers.
On this week’s Sunday Supper we are celebrating gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Grilled cheese are one of my favorite sandwiches believe it or not. To me it’s pure comfort food and I have found memories of my mother making these with tomato soup for lunch. This apricot poblano grilled cheese sandwich is a bit different from my mother’s but I’m sure she would approve. It uses fresh poblano peppers which is something my hubby and me really loved from our garden last year and can’t wait to plant them again. That along with some jam and melty cheese and crusty bread makes for a tasty grilled cheese.
The other elements are Fontina cheese, Tuscan crusty bread and apricot jam. The only thing you need to do ahead of time is roast the peppers so you can peel the skin off. That will leave you with a soft, melt in your mouth pepper that goes perfect with the melty fontina cheese and sweet apricot jam. And crusty bread is must. My hubby wants me to try sourdough next time but he REALLy liked these and I’m sure it will be a staple lunch this summer.
To blister the pepper, add it to a foil covered cookie sheet and spray all over with cooking spray. Place under the broiler until the skin blisters but you don’t want to char it too much. Place them in a bowl with a lid and let sit for 15 minutes and the skins should peel right off.
Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Then you assemble your grilled cheese, slather on some olive oil on the outside and grill it in a pan. When the cheese is melted and the outsides are crispy and toasted it’s ready for consumption. I hope you liked this simple but delicious combination for this week’s theme. Thank you Christie Campbell from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting this week and please scroll down for some more delicious recipes!
- 4 thick pieces of Tuscan bread (or other crusty bread)
- 2 thick piece of Fontina cheese
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoon of apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- First roast your poblano pepper. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut the poblano in half lengthwise and take out the stem and seeds.
- Spray the poblano peppers with cooking spray and lay on cookie sheet.
- Place under the broiler until the skin is dark and bubbly. You want it to be dark but not charred.
- Take peppers and place in a large bowl with a lid. Let them cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Peel off the blackened and blistered skin.
- Brush olive oil on each slice of bread.
- On the inside add the cheese, poblanos and 1 tablespoon of jam per sandwich.
- Heat a pan to medium and brown both sides of the sandwich until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
More delicious pepper recipes!
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Not You Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.