This hot pepper steak is an easy week night dinner that combines Asian flavors with hot peppers and steak. Serve over rice for a delicious family meal in less than 25 minutes.
Growing up I remember my mom making a simple meal like this which she called pepper steak. I’m not sure what kind of meat she used but I do remember she used green peppers and onions, soy sauce and we ate it over rice. It was really good. Recently I was in a quandary about what to make for dinner, when I remembered that dish. Using some of my husband’s hot peppers from the garden, I spiced it up a bit and came up with this hot pepper steak dish.
The peppers I used for this dish were jalapeños, shishito peppers, banana peppers and mini sweet peppers. The first three were from our garden as hot peppers seem to work good for us, but bell peppers do not for some reason. We fell in love with shishito peppers (pictured above) by the way. Sometimes for lunch my hubby sautes them in a little olive oil with salt and crushed black pepper. They are dynamite. My sister introduced us to this pepper when she made them for us when we were in California. Here is a nice article about shishito peppers if you are interested.
The sauce that I used for this skillet meal is very similar to my Asian Chicken Thighs with Vegetables dish. It’s a sauce that my family likes and has taken me a while to figure out so I’m sticking with it. I used soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, sweet bean paste, garlic and sesame oil.
So create this quick and easy dish, I first browned the meat and onions for about 5 minutes and then added the peppers and sauce. We served this over rice which is something we eat a lot of in this house. Start to finish it only took at most 25 minutes.
Hot Pepper Steak Over Rice
I’m so glad I remembered my mom making this recipe because my husband really liked it and it was easy. I’ve started making a list of go to meals (so I don’t forget them) and this is at the top of the list. It’s a great way to use a variety of peppers but you could just use colorful bell peppers if you want. I hope you like it as much as we did. Enjoy!
Here are a few more great pepper recipes!
- 1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cups peppers sliced (I used jalapeño, banana, shishito and bell)
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon hoison sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon sweet bean paste (can use more hoison if you don't have)
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Heat your skillet to medium high heat and then add your oil.
- Add the onions and flank steak and saute for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile add your soy sauce, hoison sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, bean paste and garlic to a bowl and mix well.
- Add your chopped peppers and sauce to the skillet and mix well.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the peppers and steak are cooked through.
- Serve over rice.