These creamy keto burgers with mushroom sauce make for a delicious low carb skillet dinner you can have any night of the week. The creamy gruyere sauce is rich and packed with flavor. Each ½ lb burger has only 4.8g net carbs per serving.
You might also like these low carb stuffed pizza burgers recipe.
When I first got married, one of my husband’s recipes was for hamburgers with cream of mushroom soup. It was super easy and tasty, but nothing fancy.
This burgers & gruyere mushroom sauce recipe is a combination of that recipe and my creamy chicken with spinach & mushrooms recipe. Both of which I knew my husband really liked. This dish is very easy to make and it’s a nice way to dress up hamburger. I also like it because it’s low carb of course.
Gruyere Mushroom Sauce Update
I just made this again today and I added a bit of beef broth to thin the sauce. Let me tell you this gruyere mushrooms sauce is SO rich and tasty so a little broth will not take away from the flavor. I’ll add this bit of info to the recipe card below.
The real reason I came up with this recipe is that I bought a surplus of Costco preshaped burgers the other day. I intended to cut them in half and freeze them for a quick low carb burger salad. Unfortunately I forgot I bought them and I had to use them all in one day. (My organization skills are lacking so far in 2017).
So I made a few regular burgers and I made 4 of these burgers. Boy I wish I had made more. My husband took the extras to work the next day so no leftovers for me. 🙁
First We Make The Burgers
To make this recipe, I had some mammoth Costco burgers (½ lbs each 88% lean) and two skillets going at the same time.
In a cast iron skillet I cooked the burgers. I got the pan real hot and placed the burgers in, turned the heat to medium and flipped them in about 7 minutes.
Now Make The Keto Mushroom Sauce
Meanwhile in the other skillet, I browned my mushrooms in a little butter. I love mushrooms and butter so I got them nice and brown first and then added the cream cheese, cream and spices.
Once the cream cheese melted, I added the sour cream and mixed until it was well incorporated. Then when the burgers were done and ready to serve, I poured the gruyere sauce over the burgers.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I made the sauce pretty thick but you can thin it with more cream or a little beef broth if you have it.
- If you don’t have gruyere you can use swiss cheese instead.
- Also if you are using higher fat burgers you might want to drain the grease before pouring the sauce over.
Keto Burgers With Mushroom Sauce
I really liked this dish because it was very satiating. One burger and a nice simple green salad would be plenty for dinner. This sauce would also be great with a steak so maybe I’ll try that next time.
These burgers were a half pound each which was a bit too big. Next time I would cut these in half and make 8 burgers.
So the nutrition for 1 large ½ lb burger or 2 small ¼ lb burgers is:
796 cals / 55.2g fat / 5.5g carbs / 0.7g fiber / 66.2g protein = 4.8g net carbs
- 2 lbs ground beef patties, I used 88%
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- ½ cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup beef broth (optional)
- Shape your ground beef into burgers. I made 4 large ones.
- In a large skillet melt your butter and saute your mushrooms unitl they are brown. When the mushroms are just about done, add the garlic.
- Meanwhile get your burgers going by heating another skillet on medium high and adding your burgers. Do not flip them for 5 to 7 minutes to keep them juicy.
- In the other skillet, add the cream cheese, cream, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Once the cream cheese is melted, add the gruyere and mix well until melted.
- Lastly add the sour cream and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the burgers once they are cooked and serve.
- Notes You can add beef broth or even a bit of water if you would like a thinner sauce.
- The burgers are huge (½ lbs each) so you can make this into 8 burgers easily.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 796Unsaturated Fat: 0g