This recipe was born out of my innate laziness. My sister in law used to make stuffed swiss chard leaves which were similar to stuffed grape leasves. She would stuff them with a mixture of rice and chickpeas and lemon and I just loved them. However I rarely have the patience to make such dishes and one day decided to just make a lazy girl’s version.
First of all I found this huge bag of what I call Power Greens at Costco. It contains baby kale, chard and spinach; all organic and already washed. You can’t beat that. The baby leaves are so tender I had them yesterday in a delicious salad. I wish Costco was closer to me because I would buy these every week.
So last night we smoked a salmon….on a smoker that is…and I needed a side dish to go with it and remembered those delicious lemony stuffed swiss chard leaves my sister in law made. I also had some left over rice from the night before so I knew this would be a quick, easy and delicious side dish to make.
The Lemony Power Greens, Rice & Chickpeas Recipe
First you add some olive oil to a pan and brown your owns like this. Season with salt and pepper.
Next you want to add your greens. This recipe calls for 6 cups which sounds like a lot but they cook down to almost nothing so start with about 1/3 of the amount and as it shrinks, start adding the rest.
Once you have all your greens in the pan, add your garlic, rice, lemon and chickpeas. Cook for a few minutes to make sure all the flavors are incorporated.
Taste and add more salt and pepper or even more lemon if you like it more lemony. My husband really liked this and I liked it so much I ate it for breakfast this morning.;) Hope your family enjoys it too!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 packed cups of fresh greens
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 7.5oz can chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saute pan, add olive oil and onions and brown.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add your greens a little at a time until the greens wilt.
- Once all your greens are in the pan, add your garlic and rice.
- Cook for a few minutes to incorporate all the rice.
- Add your lemon juice and chickpeas and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired.