This shrimp BLT salad is simple and delicious! The classic combination of bacon, lettuce and tomato is even better with shrimp and avocado dressing. Low carb and Paleo too!
I went to Costcos again and got a big bag of avocados for no reason. Unfortunately that means lots of avocados to eat and no one but me likes them. (I know…how can they not like avocados!) I also have TONS of luscious red tomatoes of many varieties sitting on the counter. We’ve been eating Rick’s famous salami and tomato sandwiches, My sister’s delicious fresh tomato basil pasta and throwing tomatoes in everything we can think of such as this Shrimp BLT Salad. So here I get to use both my avocados and tomatoes for a scrumptious dinner salad.
There is not a recipe to the salad per se. I just made my usual romaine salad with red onions, radishes and cucumbers. Salads are a great way to use those veggies from your garden. Make them as colorful and healthy as you can with yellow summer squash, pink radishes, purple cabbage, green kale, orange carrots, red tomatoes, red onions. See we almost have the whole rainbow of colors.
For this salad I add some cooked shrimp and bacon and topped with my creamy avocado dressing (recipe below). I made a tangier Avocado Lime dressing before and you can see the recipe here. It has a more southwestern taste with lime, olive oil, garlic and spices. Whereas this dressing is creamier and highlights the avocado more. It uses mayo and white balsamic vinegar and garlic. Yummy! But you can substitute the Avocado Lime dressing if you prefer more tang.
Shrimp BLT Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
So without a further ado, here is the Shrimp BLT Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing recipe. This is a hearty, cool and refreshing salad that you can eat for dinner on a hot summer night. Enjoy!
- 12 cooked large shrimp
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon
- 2 small chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of chopped lettuce
- 1 cup of salad vegetables (choose from radishes, red onions, cucumbers, peppers, zucchini, etc)
- 1 large avocado
- 3 Tablespoons mayonaise
- 1 Tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl add your lettuce, tomatoes and salad vegetables and toss to mix.
- Top with cooked shrimp and bacon and additional chopped avocado if using.
- Add avocado, mayonnaise, garlic and spices to a food processor and blend.
- Add water 1 Tablespoon at a time until you get to desired consistency.
- Top the salad with the avocado dressing and serve.
- Dressing will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator.
More delicious salads!