This matcha mocha maca drink recipe it the perfect healthy and low carb pick me up drink to start your morning. It’s full of healthy and energizing ingredients and you can make it in minutes.
You might also like these 5 morning matcha drink recipes!
Recently both my stepdaughter and a good friend have told me that they tried maca and it was giving them so much energy.
Of course I have tried maca in my smoothies before (I’ve tried a lot of health foods) so I knew what it was but at the time it didn’t seem to give me an energy boost.
However that was quite a while ago and I thought it might be time to give it another try. Plus I’ve been looking for a replacement for my cup of coffee, hence this matcha mocha maca drink recipe!
It’s like a spicy maca hot chocolate and energy drink rolled into one. And it’s low carb!
What is maca?
Maca is a starchy tuber that looks like a radish. It’s grown in Peru and is thought to do everything from treating infertility to depression. There has also been research on it’s effectiveness as a treatment for low libido in men and small studies on improving mood and libido in women too.
It’s generally considered safe but if you are pregnant, breast feeding or have a hormone sensitive condition, you should check with your doctor first. Learn more about maca here.
Ingredients you need to make this maca drink.
To make this drink (please see the recipe card below) you need maca, matcha, raw cacao, coconut oil, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, almond milk and sweetener.
This maca recipe is an adaptation of the one my lovely stepdaughter gave me that was so delicious! It has a lot of ingredients but I felt they were all good for you and added to the taste of the drink.
I included matcha green tea to the recipe and it certainly gave me energy. I’m just not sure if it was the matcha or the maca….or perhaps both? And I use vanilla stevia instead of honey because I like to keep my carbs down.
Regardless this is the perfect energizing yet low carb drink to start your morning; especially in winter when a smoothie just doesn’t seem appealing.
Let’s talk about these healthy ingredients.
These are some good healthy ingredients we are using. Let’s go over some of the health benefits.
- maca: is said to treat infertility and female hormonal imbalances and is naturally stimulating similar to ginseng
- matcha: great source of anti-oxidants and phytochemicals, less caffeine than coffee and gives you a boost of energy without the jittery side effect (learn more)
- raw cacao: has a wide variety of antioxidants, supports healthy heart functions, enhances physical and mental well being
- coconut oil: protects against infections and may protect against heart disease
- turmeric: anti-inflammatory and improves brain health (Learn more)
- cayenne: stimulates digestion, breaks up congestion and anti-fungal
- cinnamon: anti-inflammatory effects may help lower the risk of disease, can improve cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure and has a potent anti-diabetic effect
Let’s make our Matcha Mocha Maca Drink recipe!
- Boil your water or if you are using almond milk heat it on the stove.
- Add it to your blender along with all the other ingredients (cacao powder, coconut oil, maca, matcha, turmeric, cayenne, sweetener, cinnamon) ] and blend until frothy.
- Pour, sip and enjoy!
- (Note: I use half almond milk and half water but sometimes I just use water and it tastes fine to me. For sweetener you can use pure maple syrup, honey, stevia or what ever sweetener you like. To me it does need sweetener.)
TIP 1! There are a lot of ingredients but you can make a double or triple batch without the coconut oil and refrigerate it. Then when you want to make a batch just heat it, add your coconut oil and blend.
TIP 2! OR you can do as one of my readers (Jessica) did and make a big batch of the powder mix, place it in a jar with a label of how much to use of the powder + the amounts for the wet ingredients you have to use. (See recipe card for the instructions for this big batch idea.)
So if you too are looking for a healthy coffee replacement, try this recipe. It’s like a maca hot chocolate that will give you lots of energy to start your morning.
The nutritional information for 1 serving is: 189 cals
17.3g fat / 7.3g carbs / 4.4g fiber / 2.8g protein = 2.9g net carbs
For more great Matcha and other tea recipes, check out my Pinterest board called Tea Please! Also I buy my Matcha from my friend Debbie who sells the best tea around, Steeped Tea. You can find some on her site if you are interested.
Matcha Mocha Maca Drink Recipe
This match mocha maca drink it the healthy way to raise your energy levels in the morning. It's full of healthy ingredients and you can make it in minutes. Plus it's a healthy substitute for your morning coffee! It's like a spicy superfood hot chocolate.
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder or black pepper
- sweetner to taste, I used stevia but you can use maple syrup or honey if you aren't low carb
Heat the water or almond milk up to almost boiling.
In a blender add your hot water or almond milk and all the ingredients.
Blend on high until frothy.
Pour and enjoy!
To make a big batch of the powdered ingredients see notes below.
To make 10 batches in 1 mix: