This loaded mashed cauliflower casserole is a delicious low carb side dish for the holidays. Only 3.6g net carbs per serving.
With the holidays coming up, I wanted to think of some low carb dishes I could serve or bring that everyone would like. In other words something that wouldn’t make the guests say, “oh is that a low carb dish?” I remembered my mom used to make a twice baked potato casserole that wasn’t low carb but very delicious. This is a riff on that dish and turned out fantastic! It’s my loaded mashed cauliflower casserole.
You probably have guessed that I am a cauliflower fan. I have a 10 awesome cauliflower recipes post to prove it! I’m to the point now where I like mashed cauliflower just as much if not more than mashed potatoes and have used it differently in many of my recipes.
So true to my mother’s recipe I added French onion dip in with the cauliflower which gave it lots flavor on the inside and then the uusal loaded toppings of bacon, cheddar and chives. The cauliflower was cooked in the microwave first, pureed in a high speed blender with a few more ingredients and then baked until the cheese was nice and melted.
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole
My only complaint with this dish is that it took a whole head of cauliflower to make this smaller bowl. I could eat two helpings of this myself. My husband loved it so much there were no leftoversl. ;( I hope you give mashed cauliflower a try and for more great holiday dishes scroll down to see what my friends at Sunday Supper have for you. A special thank you to Caroline Williams from Caroline’s Cooking for hosting this week. Nutritional information for 1 serving:
122 cals/ 8.6g fat / 5.5g carb / 1.9g fiber / 6.8g protein = 3.6g net carbs
Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets and pieces
- 2 pieces of thick bacon crumbled
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives minced
- 2 tablespoons French onion dip ready made
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz cream cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the chopped up cauliflower to a large bowl and microwave for 15 minutes.
While that is cooking, make your bacon and chop your chives.
When the cauliflower is done, add it to a high speed blend along with the onion dip, salt and cream cheese. You may have to do this in two batches.
Add the mashed cauliflower to a baking dish. If working in batches mix everything well and then top with cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted to your liking.
Take it out of the oven, top with crumbled bacon and chives.
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.