This Kung Pao chicken salad is a delicious and healthy dish to satisfy that take out craving. This low carb recipe has a Kung Pao dressing that is full of flavor and easy to whip up.
Just in case you didn’t notice I love salads. I love nothing better than a big, crunchy salad full of all kinds of tasty bits. On day I dreamed up this Kung Pao chicken salad because it seemed to have it all: lettuce, crunchy vegetables, nuts, chicken and a really tasty dressing. And that is my kind of salad. I made a few changes from standard Kung Pao chicken by not frying the chicken and by substituting blanched almonds for peanuts. The dressing came out fantastic and I can’t wait to use it in a stir fry too!
As I mentioned I have a lot of salads on this site for you. Just click here and you can see over 40 different salad recipes … yes 40! I told you I liked them.
This is a basic salad base. I used Romaine lettuce, bell peppers, celery and green onions. For the chicken I just tossed in some rotisserie chicken. Most of the flavor is in the dressing. It was so good!
Some of the ingredients in the dressing are a bit unusual but they are not too crazy. You can probably find them in your grocery store, Asian market or online. I used the following:
- chili garlic sauce – I used this brand.
- soy sauce – You can use coconut aminos if you are Paleo but skip the sugar if you do.
- Chinese cooking wine – I used one like this but you can substitute dry sherry or a dry white wine
- fresh ginger root – I bought a jar of ginger paste in an Asian store and love it! Grated ginger root would be perfect too.
- fresh garlic
- apple cider vinegar
- hot pepper flakes – My hubby makes his own. Check out his post!
- Splenda – You can use white sugar if you don’t care about carbs.
Kung Pao chicken salad
The sauce is seriously delicious. I”ll let you know how it is when I use it for a stir fry. This is a little higher in carbs but I would still consider it as a low carb dinner. I forgot to mention that I sprinkled some slivered almonds. You can use peanuts or cashews if you wish. they are higher in carbs but would taste good in this salad. I hope you enjoy this tasty Kung Pao chicken salad and the nutrition for one serving is:
269 cals / 13.9g fat / 10.2g carbs/ 3.2g fiber / 25.5g protein = 7.0g net carbs
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- ⅓ slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons of garlic chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- 2 packets of Splenda
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large bowl, add your lettuce and vegetables and toss.
- Add chopped chicken and almonds on top.
- In a bowl mix the rest of the ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over top the chicken and almonds.
- Serve as is or toss if you like.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More Asian inspired recipes to try!