If you are looking for low carb side dishes to make or take for Thanksgiving, try this keto green bean casserole. It’s rich, delicious and easy to make and each serving has only 5.5g net carbs. Tastes even better than traditional green bean casserole so your guests won’t mind it’s keto!
You might also like this other low carb green bean casserole.
I’ve been going crazy trying to make keto Thanksgiving recipes. Yesterday I made this keto green bean casserole that my husband and I LOVED! One disclaimer though, neither of us love the classic green bean casserole with the cream of mushroom soup. I feel this recipe had a lot more flavor with the different cheeses and creamy sauce.
The topping is a mixture of crushed pork rinds, caramelized onions and Parmesan cheese! I ate this for dinner by itself and my husband had it as a side dish. I froze the rest so I could have a low carb lunch at the ready.
Ingredients For This Keto Green Bean Casserole
There are two main parts to this casserole; the creamy mushroom sauce for the green beans and the crunchy onion topping. To make the creamy sauce you need cream cheese, heavy cream and gouda cheese. And for the crunchy onion topping, you need onions, pork rinds and Parmesan cheese.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
First thing you want to do is caramelize the onions. Add a little butter to a skillet along with thinly sliced onion. You want to cook this for about 10 minutes until they get nice and brown like the photo below. In the meantime cook the green beans in the microwave for 3 minutes.
When the onions are done, take them out of the pan and set aside.
Making The Low Carb Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Use the same skillet and add more butter along with thinly sliced mushrooms. Cook them for 3 or so minutes until the mushrooms are cooked. Then add in the cream cheese, heavy cream and half of the gouda cheese. Mix this around until the cheeses are melted and everything melds together like the sauce below.
Now you just toss the green beans in the creamy mushroom sauce in the same oven proof skillet. Or you can mix it together and spoon into a baking dish.
Making The Keto Crunchy Onion Topping
To make the onion topping, first you need to crush the pork rinds. I just crushed them in the bag with a rolling pin. However you can also whiz them around in your food processor. When done, mix with the parmesan cheese and fried onions. I wish I could have added more onions but that would have added more carbs to the recipe.
Now all you have to do is sprinkle the crunchy topping over the green beans and then add the remaining gouda. Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is nice and brown.
Recipe Tips And Substitutions
- If you use a oven proof pan like the one above, you won’t have another dish to clean. But you can always spoon the green beans into a baking dish and then add the topping before baking.
- I used gouda cheese in the sauce and topping. You can just add it all to the sauce if you want. You can also use a different cheese. I like gouda because it’s creamy yet stringy but you can try Swiss, gruyere or monteray jack too.
- For the green beans you can use fresh or frozen. I used frozen from Aldi and they were thinner beans. If using thicker beans you might want to cook them for a few more minutes in the microwave.
Other Keto Thanksgiving Sides
As much as I love this keto green bean casserole, I don’t think we will be having it for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately my father in law would prefer the cream of mushroom soup version but no worries. I have my frozen leftovers for the day after!
Keep your eye out for a keto stuffing recipe and low carb turkey casserole coming in the next week so you can be set for a keto Thanksgiving
The nutritional information for 1 serving is:
263 cals / 21g fat / 7.8g fat / 2.3g carbs / 10.9g protein = 5.5g net carbs
Where To Buy Pork Rind Crumbs
If you don’t want to make your own pork rind crumbs you can always buy these Pork Panko breading crumbs on Amazon!
- 3 3/4 cup green beans (I used frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup gouda cheese, shredded (halved)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 oz pork rinds, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saute pan, add 1 tablespoons of butter and the onions. Saute until nice and brown - about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime cook the green beans in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- When the onions are done, take out the onions and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 1 tablespoons of butter and the mushrooms. Cook them until done which will onion be about 3 minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese, heavy cream and half of the gouda. Mix until melted and then add in the green beans. Mix to coat.
- To make the onion topping, crush the pork rinds and mix with the parmesan cheese. Then mix together with the browned onions.
- If using an oven proof skillet you can sprinkle the topping over the green beans. But if you want to you can spoon the green beans into a baking dish and sprinkle the topping over that.
- Sprinkle the remaining gouda on the crunchy topping.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top has browned. Let cool before eating.