Enjoy all the comforts of a cheesy au gratin or scalloped potato dish using cauliflower instead! This easy cheesy keto ccauliflower au gratin has only 1.8g net carbs and is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. So if you are looking for a rich and delicious keto side dish for a holiday or weeknight dinner this scalloped cauliflower recipe is the one to try!
You might also like this cheesy broccoli cauliflower rice as a side dish!
Winter is coming. And with winter weather approaching I’ve already started making casseroles and roasts and soups and stews. To me there is nothing better than a good cheesy casserole to warm your hearts and bellies on a cold winter day.
However since I like to keep the carbs down, I forgo the rice, pasta and potatoes and use substitutes. I still use the cream, butter and cheese though! Especially in this creamy, cheesy keto cauliflower au gratin.
Cauliflower Au Gratin Recipe In A Nutshell
- Slice a head of cauliflower into even slices to help with layering.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place a layer of cauliflower then the cheese, green onions and salt and pepper.
- Repeat cauliflower layer, then pour the cream on top and then end with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake until brown and bubbly.
- Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe card you can print and save for later.
The 4 ingredients I used.
I only used 4 ingredients in this cauliflower casserole: cauliflower, gruyere cheese, heavy cream and green onions.
Note that I like to use Gruyere cheese in this au gratin dish. Aldi now has it almost all the time but if you can’t find it, try Swiss.
Along with the heavy cream the Gruyere has a special taste that sets it apart from other casseroles.
Use either a muffin tin or baking dish.
The first time I made this scalloped cauliflower recipe I did so in a muffin tin and they were soooo good. However they looked terrible and since I had enough time, I remade them in a baking dish.
They work great either way. The baking dish is easier to clean up but in the tins they get all brown and crusty around the sides and I personally find that part to be the tastiest.
So if you really want them more crispy try a muffin tin, however note they can be a real pain to clean.
Let’s make some cheesy keto cauliflower au gratin!
Step 2: Once you have your ingredients lined up (cauliflower, cheese, salt, pepper, green onions and cream) you start to layer them. Remember to spray your muffin tins or baking dish first.
Step 3: Start with the cauliflower, then add half of the cheese, all of the green onions and salt and pepper.
Step 4: Add another layer of cauliflower but on the last layer, add the cream before the cheese.
Step 5: Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then take off the foil and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and delicious!
Is This A Keto Casserole?
If you are following a keto diet as opposed to a low carb diet the macros for 1 serving of this cauliflower casserole is: 81% fat / 14% protein / 5% carbs which I would consider this a keto casserole as well as low carb.
This cheesy casserole is very rich so a large baking dish makes a lot. You only need a small amount to be satisfied. This will be great for the fall and winter months. It’s pure comfort food if you are on a low carb diet and even if you are not.
We ate it as a side dish with a nice pork roast and it was the perfect side dish. Here is the nutritional information per serving:
cals 280 / fat 24g / carbs 3.6g / fiber 1.8g / protein 9.4g – net carbs = 1.8g per serving
And for a tasty low carb appetizer or snack, check out my friend Lauren at Delicious Little Bites’ loaded cauliflower bites. They are the perfect decadent dish to snack on.
- 1 head of cauliflower (or 4 cups), cut in slices
- 2 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (can use Swiss too), shredded
- 4 green onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray and then add a layer of sliced cauliflower. This takes about 2 layers so use half of the cauliflower.
- Next add half of the shredded Gruyere cheese.
- Add all the green onions evenly on the cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the cauliflower evenly layered.
- Pour the cream all over the cauliflower and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take off the foil and cook for 40 minutes until the cauliflower is soft and the cheese is brown.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Here is the nutritional information per serving:
cals 280 / fat 24g / carbs 3.6g / fiber 1.8g / protein 9.4g - net carbs = 1.8g per serving
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280