These German fried potatoes with bacon are pure comfort food. How can you go wrong with potatoes and bacon! This easy side dish takes less than 30 minutes and you can eat the leftovers for breakfast! It’s sure to be a family favorite.
You might also like this perfect crispy steak fries recipe!
This weeks theme at Sunday Supper is Oktoberfest. When I was younger, I never missed this celebration but it was mostly about beer, friends and having a good time. So I’m not up on German food too much.
However while perusing recipes I came across Bratkartoffeln (please don’t ask me to pronounce it) which is German fried potatoes in a pan. I thought I could handle that especially as it involves bacon. So that is what I’m making today for Oktoberfest!
Other yummy bacon recipes
This is a simple recipe that involves bacon, onions and potatoes. I feel like every week I am putting up a bacon recipe. Last week it was bacon wrapped stuffed chicken, and before that loaded smashed cauliflower bites. One thing my family loves is bacon!
German Fried Potatoes Recipe
You gotta love a recipe with only 3 ingredients: golden potatoes, onions and bacon. Start by cooking your bacon in a cast iron skillet. While the bacon is cooking chop your potatoes into uniform cubes. I like to use the food chopper below because it’s so easy and you get even pieces of potatoes. I bought it at Aldi along time ago buy they also have them on Amazon.
Once you have the potatoes chopped, I put them in this microwave steamer for 5 minutes. Precooking the potatoes makes them take less time frying and you can get a nice golden brown.
Take the out the bacon and now you can fry the onion for a few minutes until they are translucent. Then add in the potatoes and saute until the potatoes are browned nicely. Add back the bacon and cook for another minute and you are done!
Why You should make this for Oktoberfest (& Notes)
- It’s super easy and only takes 3 ingredients.
- It has bacon. Need I say more.
- It goes great with beer especially the day after 😉
- Microwave your potatoes first to make them soft inside and crispy outside.
- Use a good thick bacon if you can.
This is pure comfort food for me. I even ate a little with a fried egg for breakfast the next day. I hope you like these German fried potatoes and for more good German food scroll down to see what the Sunday Supper family has for you. Thanks for Cricket of Cricket’s Confections for hosting!
German Fried Potatoes with Bacon
- 4 pieces thick bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups potatoes, golden, uniformly diced inot cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet, add bacon and fry until crispy.
At the same time, add your potato cubes to a microwaveable dish and microwave for 5 minutes.
When the bacon is done, take it out of the pan and add the diced onion.
Saute for 1 minute or 2 until they start to turn translucent and then add your potatoes.
Cook for 15 minutes or more until the potatoes are browned and cooked through.
Add back crumbled bacon and mix through.
Season with salt and pepper.
- German Pancake Soup (Flädlesuppe) by Caroline’s Cooking
- German Potato Pancakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Homemade Pretzels with Kids by Hardly A Goddess
- Kräuterbutter (German Herb Butter) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Latke and Sauerbraten Poutine by Monica’s Table
- Obatzda – Bavarian Cheese Spread by Sunday Supper Movement
- Warsteiner Fondue by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Kaiserschmarrn Recipe by Plated Cravings
- Nana’s Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Rote Grütze (Fruit Pudding) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Main Dish (Hauptgericht)
- Bavarian Sausage & Cabbage Soup by Food Done Light
- Beef Goulash Recipe by Positively Stacey
- Beer Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Berlin Potato Soup by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Bierocks by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Bratwurst Sheet Pan Dinner by A Mind Full Mom
- Burgers with Bacon-Sauerkraut Jam by Palatable Pastime
- How to Make Traditional German Sauerbraten by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oktoberfest Beer Brats by Wholistic Woman
- Oktoberfest Chicken Chili by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oktoberfest Fondue 3 Ways by Momma’s Meals
- Pork chops with Sauerkraut and Apples by Brunch-n-Bites
- Roasted Apple & Beer Chili For Oktoberfest by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Kebobs w/ a Boiled Cider Drizzle by The Freshman Cook
- Schwenkbraten (Grilled German Pork Chops) by Curious Cuisiniere
Side Dish (Beigabe)
- Fried Potatoes German Style by My Life as a Cookbook
- German Potato Salad by Tramplingrose
- Ginger Beer Sauerkraut by Cricket’s Confections
- Herbed Spaetzle by The Hungry Goddess
- Krautsalat (German Coleslaw) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oktoberfest Potatoes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.