If you love the taste of coconut and pineapple you have to try this quick & easy keto pina colada drink recipe! You only need 3 ingredients to make this creamy and tasty cocktail. You can also make it without alcohol for a refreshing summer drink! It’s sugar free and has only 3g net carbs per drink!
You might also like these keto pina colada popsicles!
Yesterday the weather was great with sunny and blue skies. I guess I’m excited for summer to come so I celebrated by making a keto pina colada and thinking about a beach vacation!
This keto cocktail only requires 3 ingredients and I just happened to have them on hand. I made one for my father in law, my husband and even a virgin one to Max.
I didn’t realize we all liked that coconut pineapple flavor combination. So the wheels are turning for more ways to use it!
What is in a classic Pina Colada?
The classic pina colada was originated in Puerto Rico and is made with rum, coconut cream and pineapple juice. It is usually a frozen drink but you can also drink it on the rocks.
However fresh pineapple is not considered to be keto friendly as it has roughly 19g of net carbs in 1 cup of the fruit and 21g net carbs in 1 cup of pineapple juice. (USDA)
Therefore a typical pina colada would not be keto and that is why I made this sugar free, low carb version.
The ingredients that I used.
The sugar free pineapple mix has 2g net carbs (for 2 drinks) but a strong pineapple flavor so it was a perfect addition and would work for my low carb diet.
The coconut cream is the base of the drink and had 4g net carbs (for 2 drinks) but again a very strong coconut flavor. I use this a lot in my keto recipes.
Rum like most alcohols has calories but no carbs as long as it’s not a flavored rum.
Below you can see the simple ingredients I used. I added the Torani sugar free pineapple syrup as an alternative to the drink mix. You can substitute that with a little lemon juice and it would work great as a substitute for the drink mix.
Another low carb ingredient you could use is coconut extract but it wouldn’t give you that creamy, milky texture and color. Using heavy whipping cream might help though.
What is coconut cream?
You make coconut milk by boiling 1 part of coconut meat with 1 part water. Whereas the ratio is 4 parts coconut to 1 part water for coconut cream. (source) Not that you have to make it because you should be able to find it easily in a big grocery store.
Can I use coconut milk instead of coconut cream?
Yes because you are really just going for the flavor. When you blend everything with ice you won’t know the difference.
However I would go with canned coconut milk instead of the drink you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store as it has less ingredients and is unsweetened.
I used canned coconut cream because I happened to have a can of Trader Joes in my pantry.
My easy keto pina colada drink recipe!
- Add 2 cups of ice to a high speed blender along with ½ cup of water.
- To that add 1 stick of sugar free pineapple drink mix. I used Sunkist brand.
- Next add ½ cup of coconut cream or milk and ½ cup of plain rum.
- Blend until all the ice is crushed and pour into your glass. Use a chilled glass to keep it from melting quickly. This recipe makes 2 drinks.
- To make this a virgin keto pina colada, just eliminate the rum! Please scroll to the bottom to print the recipe card.
To make this recipe with Torani’s sugar free pineapple syrup you would make it the same way but with ¼ cup of Torani syrup and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice instead of the drink mix.
Note I suggest using a good quality blender like a Vitamix or Ninja to make frozen drinks like this and slushy drinks.
This is definitely a rich and tasty keto cocktail and I hope you like it as much as we did.
Even without the alcohol it’s a tasty tropical drink for summer. You can pretend you are on a sunny beach in Puerto Rico or some other tropical island!
Check out all of my low carb drinks! I even have iced coffee and tea recipes. They are perfect for anyone on a keto diet.
The nutritional information for 1 drink with rum and the drink mix is:
291 calories 18g fat / 3g carbs / 2g protein = 3g net carbs
The nutritional information for 1 drink (Torani version) and rum is:
288 calories / 18g fat / 4g carbs / 2g protein = 4g net carbs
Pina Colada using Drink Mix
- 1 stick of Sunkist sugar free pineapple drink mix
- 2 cups ice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut cream or coconut milk
- ½ cup plain rum
Pina Colada made with Torani syrup
- 2 cups ice
- ½ cup ice
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ½ cup rum
- 2 ounces or ¼ cup Torani sugar free pineapple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add the ice and water to a blender.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and blend until all of the ice crushed.
- Taste to see if you want to adjust the flavors.
- Pour into a tall glass and enjoy! (Note this recipe makes 2 drinks.)
Recipe Tips & Notes
- You can substitute coconut milk for coconut cream if you want.
- If using the Torani syrup please adjust the amount to your taste. Same goes with the coconut. Some people like more coconut flavor and others like more pineapple.
- You could also use lime juice instead of lemon juice with the Torani syrup.
The nutrition information per serving (1 drink) with rum and the drink mix is: 291 calories 18g fat / 3g carbs / 2g protein = 3g net carbs
The nutrition information per serving (1 drink) of Torani version and rum is: 288 calories / 18g fat / 4g carbs / 2g protein = 4g net carbs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291