This Cajun sausage and shrimp sheet pan dinner is a mixture of spicy flavored meats and veggies roasted to make an easy low carb dinner on busy weeknights. It’s like jambalaya made into a sheet pan dinner with chunks of chicken, shrimp, sausage and vegetables dressed in Cajun spices. It’s very easy to make and each serving has just 6.9g net carbs!
You might also like this low carb chicken and vegetable sheet pan dinner.
I don’t know about you but I love a one pan meal. I rarely make sheet pan meals but I’m intrigued with them. So I thought the components of this low carb Cajun sausage and shrimp sheet pan dinner would work perfectly together.
This is a naturally low carb dinner in that it’s just protein and vegetables with a lot of spices. I used shrimp, sausage and chicken of the protein and a variety of colorful veggies. You can just pop the mix in the oven and dinner is ready in 40 minutes!
Recipe ingredient I used.
For this recipe I used chicken breast, shrimp, chicken sausages, red onion, green and colored sweet bell peppers, celery, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, olive oil and a homemade Cajun spice mix.
I used Italian chicken sausages I bought at Aldi. You can use just about any kind of sausage you want. It can be a flavored one like I used or even Andouille sausage, kielbasa or Polish pork sausage.
The recipe for my homemade spice blend is below.
My homemade Cajun spice blend recipe.
The other day I looked as some Cajun seasoning mixes and was suprised they were full of carbs! So I made my own blend. Note that I only used the half of the blend for this recipe. Mix and keep in a jar and use as a rub or seasoning for meat, soups and stews.
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
This is pretty hot but if you want to you can use less cayenne pepper or even eliminate it if you don’t like hot food.
Let’s make this Cajun sausage and shrimp sheet pan dinner.
UPDATE TO RECIPE: I recently made this again and added the shrimp halfway through cooking and they taste better that way. So the recipe has been amended but some of the photos still have the raw shrimp on them.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Step 2: Chopped all of the veggies, then get out a large mixing bowl and place them in it.
Step 3: Add the chicken and shrimp along with the olive oil and spices. Try to keep the shrimp separate if you can as you will be cooking them later on in cooking process. Mix all together so everything is coated with oil and spices. Pull out the shrimp and place in a medium size bowl and set aside.
Step 4: Get out the prepared baking sheet and pour the veggies and chicken mixture on the cooking tray. Spread them around evenly then place the sausages on on top.
Step 5: Place the rimmed baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Note cooking times may vary.
Step 6: About halfway through add the shrimp to the mixture and cook. Shrimp will only take about 10 minutes to cook through and if you overcook them they will get tough so that is why you are adding them later on.
Step 7: When the shrimp turn pink they are done. So when the shrimp and chicken are cooked through and the vegetables have softened and start to caramelize the dish is done.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. Please scroll down to view and print the recipe card.
What to serve with this Cajun sheet pan dinner.
My hubby at this with steamed rice and I ate it as is because I wanted a low carb option. You could also use cauliflower rice if you wish but I personally don’t think it needs it. With the 3 different protein and all the vegetables, it made a full meal for me.
Recipe notes and tips.
- I bought all of these ingredients at Aldi. I especially like their frozen shrimp. Specifically I like the raw jumbo size package. They come out so succulent when cooked.
- I also Aldi chicken sausages which only have 1g net carbs per sausage. However you can use any kind of sausages of you want if you don’t care about carbs.
- While I used chicken breast but you can use chicken thighs too if you want.
- Make sure to put the shrimp in close to the end of the cooking process. If they overcook they will be tough.
- Remember you only use half of the spice mixture in this recipe. You can make less or save half to use as a meat rub or seasoning in soup, etc.
Other low carb cajun flavored recipes to try.
I really like the spicy Cajun flavors, especially when mixed with vegetables. So I have a lot of low carb cajun recipes on my site. This recipe is very similar to my Cajun stir fry but it’s a even easier. If you like Cajun recipes too, you might like these:
- low carb jambalaya
- low carb cajun stir fry
- jambalaya flatbread – not low carb
- low carb peel n eat cajun shrimp
I hope you enjoy this cajun shrimp and sausage sheet pan dinner as much as my family did. It’s a great combination of flavors and works well for busy weeknight dinners. Enjoy
The nutritional information for 1 serving (considering I used half of the spices) is: 428 calories / 21.8g fat / 9.6g carbs / 2.7g fiber / 48.9g protein = 6.9g net carbs
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ cup red or orange bell peppers, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces chicken breast, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 12 ounces raw shrimp, peeled
- 12 ounces chicken sausage (I used Aldi Italian flavored)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Cajun Spice Blend (use only half of blend in this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use less if you don't like the heat)
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Get out a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices. We are only using half of this blend so store the rest in a jar or container for another time. Note you can use it as rub for burgers, chicken, pork etc.
- Chop the vegetables and chicken and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the shrimp but try to keep the it separate because you want to take them out and add them bake halfway through the baking . Mix everything with the olive oil and spices. Use your hands to make sure the oil and spices cover everything.
- Take out the shrimp and place in a medium sized bowl and set aside. Pour the rest of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out everything evenly in a single layer. Place the sausages on top or nestle in with the other ingredients.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Add the shrimp 10 minutes before it's done. They just need to turn pink and they are done. So when the shrimp and chicken are cooked through and the veggies start to brown the dinner is done.
- Eat as is or on top of cauliflower rice for a low carb meal or white rice if you don't care about the carbs.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Unsaturated Fat: 0g