Classic spinach salad with bacon, eggs and veggies topped with a hot maple bacon dressing to make the perfect fall salad that is low carb and Paleo too!
I love spinach salads. Do you? I regularly buy already washed baby spinach from Aldi so I can have a spinach salad at a moments notice. But to have a classic spinach salad (IMO) you have to have all the components: spinach, red onions, fresh mushrooms, hard boiled eggs and of course crunchy bacon. What a great combination. You also need a good hot bacon salad dressing and since I’m on a maple syrup kick, I thought that might be a good addition. This dressing is now my quick and easy go to spinach salad dressing because it only takes a few minutes and tastes so good.
So the first thing you want to do is make the bacon and save the bacon grease for the dressing. This recipe calls for 3 Tablespoons so make sure you make enough bacon to get 3 Tablespoons of bacon grease. Then add some maple syrup and white balsamic vinegar. I bought the white balsamic vinegar from Trader Joes. I hope they still have it when I go back because I’ve been using it quite a lot. It’s not as strong as the darker balsamic vinegar and is perfect for salad dressings.
That’s all there is to this dressing. Whisk it up in a bowl, heat in the microwave until bubbly and then whisk it one more time before tossing the salad with it. Garnish the salad with bacon and eggs and you have a delicious salad for lunch or dinner.
I hope you like this simple recipe. It’s a nice hearty salad to eat on it’s own but can be a lovely side salad to serve with a simpler dinner too. This recipes makes about 6 servings.
Per serving: 157 calories / 11.5g fat / 7.1g carbs / 0.7g fiber / 6g protein = 6.4g net carbs
- 4 cups of loosely packed baby spinach
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 6 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled (reserve the bacon fat when making)
- 4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons bacon grease from cooked bacon
- 4 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss your spinach with the mushrooms and onions.
- Save the bacon and eggs for garnish.
- To make the dressing, add the bacon fat, vinegar and maple syrup to a microwaveable dish. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes until boiling.
- Let cool a minute and then toss the salad with hot dressing.
- Top with eggs and bacon.
- Serve immediately.