This delicious soup gets it’s creaminess from a cauliflower puree and pumpkin. A delicious healthy low carb comforting soup.So it’s that time of year when everything seems to be about pumpkin. Or at least it seems that way to me. The thing that I’ve learned about pumpkin is that it tastes great in soup. It adds a bit of of sweetness and lots of creaminess so I’m a big fan. I made this soup last year and I loved it but I used cream too and in retrospect it just didn’t need it. Since then I’ve learned to use cauliflower puree to add a thickness and creaminess without all the calories and that’s what I did in this Creamy Pumpkin Sausage & Kale Soup redo.
This time when I made this dish, I made it with and without the cauliflower puree. You can see from the photo below without the cauliflower puree that it’s a bit thinner but it’s still tasty. As I mentioned before the pumpkin gives it a bit of creaminess and this might be all that you need in your soup. If you don’t want to go the extra step of the cauliflower puree, by all means don’t. You’ll still have a fabulous soup.
And here is a photo of the soup with the cauliflower puree. You can see that it’s lighter in color and it’s thicker too. You also get the benefit of adding more veggies to your soup and the extra nutrition cauliflower offers.
So this is my redo version of last year’s soup. I personally really like it with the cauliflower puree. I like thick, creamy soups and I can eat this for a meal and be totally satisfied. You can see from the nutrition that it has 7g net carbs which is not bad for a meal.
With Cauliflower & Butter: cals 242 / 16.2g fat / 11.3g carbs / 4.3g fiber / 13.1g protein = 7.0g net carbs
Without Cauliflower & Butter: cals 222 / 14.7g fat / 10g carbs / 3.6g fiber / 12.5g protein = 6.4g net carbs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings off
- 1 can pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin)
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, choppped
- 2 cups baby kale, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon (chicken) (optional)
- 2 cups caulilfower
- 1 Tablespoon butter (use ghee if Paleo)
- In a soup pot, add your olive oil and brown your sausage. Make sure to break up the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Add your mushrooms, peppers, salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add your pumpkin, broth, kale and Better than Bouillon if using and continue to cook for a 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your cauliflower to a microwave safe bowl and cook 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add cauliflower mixture to a high sped blender along with the butter and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Add cauliflower mixture to the soup and mix well. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.