This Paleo slow cooker beef stew is easy to make and delicious. The secret ingredient is pumpkin. Come see how I make it!
When I was just out of college, I used to make beef stew all the time. I liked it because I could throw it in a slow cooker and come home from work to a nice wholesome meal that would last for days. For some reason, I haven’t really made it much over the years. I thought it would be a good dish to add some pumpkin puree for thickness, instead of flour. Also I used turnips instead of potatoes and keep the whole dish relatively Paleo. And if I did it in the slow cooker all would be right with the world as not much time would be wasted if it didn’t work out. Luckily it did and it was wonderful.
So to make this luscious beef stew, I used stewing meat, turnips, carrots, parsnips, onions, green beans and mushrooms. For the sauce I just used beef stock and pumpkin puree along with some spices. I put the meat in first with the spices and garlic and then added the vegetables and lastly poured the pumpkin and stock on top. It cooked all day until everything was tender and the flavors all mingled together. Perfect comfort food on a cold day.
Paleo Slow Cooker Beef Stew
How do you eat your stew?
Back in the day I always ate it over rice. But since I’m constantly trying to keep things low carb and Paleo, I didn’t make any this time and my husband was disappointed. I actually made buttered noodles for him and my son (which my son loved) but my hubs wanted the rice. I just ate a big bowl of it as is. It was delicious and there was plenty leftover for today. So I would suggest for you, crusty bread, rice or noodles with this stew and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 1½ lbs stew meat
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worchesterchire sauce (omit if strict Paleo)
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 turnip cubed
- 1½ cups green beans
- 8oz package of small portobello mushrooms sliced
- 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Add you meat, pepper, salt (1/4 t), garlic, thyme and worchestershire sauce to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Top meat with onions, carrots, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms and beans.
- In a bowl mix the beef stock, pumpkin, salt and garlic powder and then pour over vegetables.
- Mix well.
- Set slow cooker to slow setting (mine took 6 hours) until everything is tender.
- Serve as is, with crusty bread, over noodles or over rice.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our policies page.
More delicious slow cooker meals!