If you’d like to make a tasty ham for the Easter or any holiday meal, you have to try this brown sugar & spice keto ham glaze. This glaze is a nice mixture of brown sugar, orange flavors and spices which goes perfectly with roasted ham. It is low carb, sugar free and the whole batch has only 6 calories and 0.9g net carbs! So next time you make a glazed ham, try this sweet & spicy keto version.
You might also like this leftover ham recipes post!
I made our Easter ham early this year because we had planned to travel on Easter Day. Well that all changed but I did come up with a mighty tasty sugar free keto ham glaze!
I asked my husband what flavors he liked in a glazed ham and he said he loved spices like cloves. So I added some brown sugar and orange flavors to the cloves and this keto baked ham was a bit hit.
I was excited because this was the first time I made my own glaze. The whole batch has only 6 calories and 0.9g net carbs so you can’t beat that!
Making A Keto Glazed Ham
Recipe In A Nutshell.
- Place your ham in the oven to bake as usual. Most precooked hams with the bone in (about 5 -7 lbs)will need to cook for about 18-24 minutes per pound in a 325°F oven. Usually the label on the ham will tell you how to cook it. A larger ham will be about 15 – 18 minutes per pound. Here’s a good article about ham cooking times.
- 30 minutes before it’s done, mix up your glaze on the stove by mixing Swerve brown sugar, orange zest, orange extract, apple cider vinegar and pumpkin pie spice. Add a couple tablespoons of water and mix until the sugar dissolves and it get bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- Take the ham out of the oven and brush the glaze all over the ham and then place back in the oven for 30 more minutes.
- Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe card you can print and save for later.
5 Ingredient Keto Ham Glaze Recipe
Ingredients I Used.
I really love Swerve brown sugar sweetener. It tastes just like regular brown sugar to me. So the 5 ingredients I used are: Swerve brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, orange extract, orange zest, and pumpkin pie spice. That’s it!
This glaze has that brown sugar sweetness with the orange and spice flavors. Once you make this, which will only take 5 minutes, you can add more orange or pumpkin spice flavors to your liking.
Making The Glaze On The Stove.
When you have 30 minutes left for your ham to bake, quickly mix together the glaze ingredients on the stove. You can see what it looks like below. You want all the sugar to melt and get sticky. Note though you don’t want to do this at the beginning because the sugar will get too hard so do it in the last 30 minutes of baking.
Use a brush and apply the glaze all over the ham. Depending on the size of your ham you may have too much but I had a 9-10 lb bone-in spiral ham from Aldi. That should give you some idea to compare with.
Once you apply the glaze, put it back in the oven for the last 30 minutes. Hurry and soak your pan because the sugar can get hard and difficult to clean.
Side Dish Keto Recipes
To Serve With Ham.
My family loves scalloped potatoes with ham so now I make this rich and oh so delicious keto scalloped cauliflower casserole. Another dish like this is my individual keto scalloped turnips stacks. They taste so much like potatoes!
Along those dishes are so rich and tasty, I would then just serve a steamed green vegetable like broccoli or green beans and add a little butter and salt when they are done cooking.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- I bought roughly a 9-10 lb spiral bone in ham from Aldi. I had plenty of glaze for this size of ham.
- If you don’t buy a spiral ham, you can score it in a diamond pattern with a knife first before adding the glaze
- This brown sugar glaze has a strong orange flavor so if you aren’t sure, taste it before you add the orange extract. You can play around with quantities after it’s all melted and mixed.
- Don’t make the glaze until you are ready to use it. It should only take 5 minutes to get the Swerve brown sugar to melt.
- Make sure to soak the pan right after eating because they glaze will harden and it’s difficult to clean.
- If you are looking for some keto ham recipes, check out this post about low carb ham leftovers.
I think this was one of the best hams we have ever had and since we will be home for Easter now, we will have it again! Even if you are not on a low carb diet, I know your family will love this brown sugar & spice glazed ham.
The nutritional information for all of the glaze is 6 calories
0.2g fat / 1.2g carbs / 0.3g fiber / 0.1g protein = 0.9g net carbs
For a great side dish, try my friend Taryn’s keto creamed spinach!
- 1 cup Swerve brown sugar sweetener
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons water
- zest of 1/2 of an orange
- Bake you ham as you normally would. So 30 minutes before the end, mix up your glaze.
- In a saucepan add all the ingredients. Mix and cook for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and it gets bubbly and thick. This should only take 5 minutes.
- Pull out the ham an using a brush, brush the glaze over the ham. Place back in the oven for 30 more minutes and you are done.
- Not do not make the glaze until you are ready to use it. Otherwise it will harden and crystallize.
The nutritional information for all of the glaze is:
6 cals / 0.2g fat / 1.2g carbs / 0.3g fiber / 0.1g protein = 0.9g net carbs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6