This simple keto blueberry sauce needs only two ingredients to make a healthy and sugar free topping for low carb cheesecake, coconut yogurt or ice cream. You can use frozen or fresh blueberries to make this tasty low carb fruit topping. For two tablespoons the net carb count is only 2.1g!
You might also like these blueberry keto cheesecake tarts.
This is just a quick post to go with my coconut yogurt recipe. I’m experimenting with different toppings and I thought this keto blueberry sauce is one that Max would really like.
I love this fresh blueberry topping because it’s sugar free and only needs 2 ingredients. Right now I’m primarily using it on yogurt but it would be great on keto cheesecake too! Also it takes just about 10-15 minutes to make!
Are blueberries low carb?
If you want to eat fruit on a low carb diet it’s best to stick with berries. Blueberries are a little higher in carbs than the others but for recipes like this you are not using much so it okay and much less than if you were eating most other fruits..
For 100g serving the net carbs for berries are:
- blackberries – 4.3g net carbs
- raspberries – 5.4g net carbs
- strawberries – 5.7g net carbs
- blueberries – 12.1g net carbs
- cherries – 14g net carbs
The two recipe ingredients I used.
All you need to make this sugar free fruit sauce is fresh blueberries and Swerve brown sugar sweetener or coconut sugar. It’s so simple but super tasty!
I’ve updated this old recipe to use Swerve brown sugar because I wanted it to be low carb. However originally I used coconut sugar.
Coconut sugar has lower glycemic value than regular sugar and is a source of iron, zinc, calcium and potassium. It does have carbs though.
However for less carbs go with the Swerve brown sugar sweetener. If you don’t have that and still want it to be low carb, you can use your sweetener of choice.
How to make a simple keto blueberry sauce.
- First add 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries and 1/4 cup of Swerve brown sugar sweetener or coconut sugar in a small or medium saucepan. Also add a tablespoon of water or two to get it to mix well.
- Cook this down over medium heat for about 10-20 minutes until it makes a nice sauce. Smash the berries halfway through with a potato masher or fork to get more juice from the berries.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (Please scroll down and print the recipe card.)
You could also leave them as is and puree the whole batch in a food processor or blender to be more of a blueberry syrup. However it’s much easier just to mash it while it’s cooking in my opinion.
Please note that this is sweet. You might want to start with sweetener and add more after it cooks down a bit .It’s up to you. I like it sweet.
Ways to use this sugar free fruit topping.
I primarily use this sugar free blueberry sauce on my coconut yogurt but it would also be great on a low carb pancake or waffle as well as cheesecake, ice cream or cheesecake fluff.
Other keto blueberry desserts to try!
I’m a big fan of blueberries so I have a few other keto friendly recipes that use them. I have a simple blueberry ice cream, a muffin for 1 and cheesecake tarts. I also have waffles and bagels all of which are low carb.
Max really liked this low carb blueberry topping and so did I. I think next time I might add some fresh grated ginger or even lemon zest. Enjoy!
This recipe made roughly 1 cup of sauce. So for a serving size of 2 tablespoons the nutritional information is: 10 calories / 0.1g fat / 2.6g carbs / 0.5g fiber / 0.1g protein = 2.1g net carbs
- 1 cup of blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 1/4 cup Swerve brown sugar sweetener or coconut sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons of water
- In a saucepan, heat blueberries, Swerve or coconut sugar and water. The water is just to get the mixture going and will cook down.
- Start with less sugar as this was pretty sweet. Taste after a bit of cooking and if you want it more sweet, add the rest of the sugar.
- Halfway through smash the berries to release more juice. Or if you like them whole leave them be.
- When you get a nice sauce going (10 minutes or so) take off the stove and cool a bit.
- Use as a topping on whatever you like.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g