You don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving to make this Instant Pot Turkey Breast. In just an hour or two you can have a turkey dinner along with keto turkey gravy and it’s only 0.8g net carb per serving!
You might like this smoked turkey breast recipe too
I have yet to host a Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Between my side of the family and my husband’s, we usually have 2 dinners to go to and to be honest it’s not my favorite holiday food wise.
However, we do miss the leftovers, especially my hubby. So this year I’ve been experimenting with turkey and made this Instant Pot turkey breast for Sunday dinner and boy was it easy!
Start with Turkey Rub Seasonings
I would like to experiment with this part of the recipe in the future. Today I wanted to have those Thanksgiving flavors so the rub was made from olive oil, poultry spice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and paprika. Mix them all together and rub under the skin and over the skin.
How long to cook a turkey
in the Instant Pot?
For me I cooked my turkey breast for 35 minutes and let it release pressure naturally which was about another 20 minutes. This seems to work well with a 7 lb turkey breast.
After it was done, I took it out and placed it under the broiler to brown it a bit. That’s one thing you can’t get so much in the Instant Pot – the crispy skin.
Next time I do this, I would like to split this turkey breast in half and place under broiler to get it crispier. It’s a bit hard to get the whole turkey under the broiler.
Let’s make our Instant Pot
- Start by placing in the trivet that came with the Instant Pot.
- Then take a cup of chicken broth and pour into the bottom. I like to use plain water and a teaspoon of Better than Bouillon. Especially if you are going to make gravy from the drippings like I did.
- Rub the oil and spices all over the turkey and place into the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release valve to the back.
- Manually cook for 35 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally, about 20 minutes.
- Once it’s done, you can place it under the broiler to crisp the skin. Watch that it doesn’t burn.
How to make Keto Turkey Gravy
Once you’ve taken out the turkey, you can make the low carb turkey gravy.
- Start by pressing the saute button and adjust heat to high.
- Begin whisking the remain liquid from the turkey with the poultry spice.
- If you want a smoother gravy you can always pour it in the blender and mix on high for a few seconds and then pour back into the Instant Pot.
- To thicken it, you can let it boil down and reduce, or you can try a low carb thickener. I’ve been having fun playing with this thickener called Thick-it-up. You just need 1/2 teaspoon per cup of liquid to thicken. It has zero carbs too. So try that out if you want it thicken the sauce.
- Once it’s to your liking, add in some heavy whipping cream and whisk before serving.
This turkey breast recipe was really good as was the low carb turkey gravy. Because it was so easy, I think I will be making this more for my family.
The nutritional information for 1 serving of turkey with gravy is:
324 cals /9.9g fat /1.3g carbs /0.5 /54.4g protein = 0.8g net carbs
side dishes that would go great with this turkey breast recipe!
Check out my friend Taryn’s keto cranberry sauce which will also to go deliciously with this turkey!
- 7 lb turkey breast (bone in)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry spice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon (chicken )
- 1 cup water
Low Carb Gravy
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry spice
- 1 teaspoon low carb thickener (I used Thick-it-up)
- Take out your turkey from the packaging and make sure there is nothing inside the cavity (packets of gravy or innards). Rinse and pat dry.
- Mix the oil and spices and rub all over the turkey - underneath of the skin and on top of the skin.
- Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Mix the Better than Bouillon with 1 cup of warm water. Pour into the Instant Pot.
- Place the turkey on the trivet. Secure the lid, turn the pressure release valve to the back and manually cook for 35 minutes.
- When done, let the pressure come down naturally - about 20 minutes.
- Take out of pot and if you want a crispy skin, place the whole breast under the broiler until desired color.
To make a low carb turkey gravy.
- With the remaining broth and drippings in the Instant Pot, press the saute button and adjust to high.
- Add in 1//4 teaspoon of poultry spice and whisk until it comes to a boil.
- If you want you can reduce this a bit or add a low carb thickener. I like Thick It (see below - 1 teaspoon).
- Mix in 2 tablespoons of cream, whisk once more and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thick-It-Up Low Carb Food Thickener: - Make Your Health Food Taste Like Junk Food - Great for Soups, Gravies, Sauces (Sugar Free!)6 Oz.
Better than Bouillon Premium Roasted Beef Base & Roasted Chicken Base 8 ounce Jars (Pack of 2)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Frontier Poultry Seasoning Certified Organic, Salt-Free Blend, 1.2-Ounce Bottle
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324Unsaturated Fat: 0g