This Mediterranean low carb Brussels sprouts side dish is easy and delicious. Briny olives, sweet sun dried tomatoes and tangy feta bring the fresh Brussels sprouts to life! This easy keto side dish only takes 15 minutes to make is so full of flavor you’ll be making it again and again!
You might also like this low carb Brussels sprouts with bacon & cauliflower recipe.
As you may have guess I like Brussels sprouts. I have quite a few Brussels sprouts recipes on the blog. The other day I was staring a huge jar of Kalamata olives in my fridge (from Costco of course) and decided to make this Mediterranean low carb Brussels sprouts side dish for dinner.
I love how the briny olives and the sweet sun dried tomatoes complement the fresh, earthy Brussels. I could have eaten this as a main dish but I served it as a side and it was delicious. It’s the perfect low carb side dish that with a nice steak or piece of fish. You won’t need anything else as this dish will be the star.
BRUSSELS SPROUTS – A GOOD LOW CARB VEGETABLE
Brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous family of vegetables. It has roughly 4g net carbs per half cup and is high in vitamin C and vitamin K. I like it because they are very filling and I like the taste. They are especially good roasted! Here’s a good article about low carb vegetables.
Ingredients I used
You can buy most of the ingredients for this Brussels sprouts recipe from Aldi. The only thing they didn’t have was sun dried tomatoes. So the ingredients I used were Brussels sprouts, Kalamata olive, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning and fat cheese.
Let’s make some Mediterranean Brussels sprouts!
Like all my dishes, this is quick and easy. Here are the steps to make this side dish in 15 minutes.
- Precook the Brussels sprouts in the microwave for 4 minutes. I love this microwave pot (black pot pictured above) for precooking my vegetables.
- Meanwhile I got out a big saute pan and heated the olive oil and garlic. Once that was fragrant, add in all the other ingredients except the pine nuts and feta cheese.
- Cooked for a few minutes.
- While the Brussels sprouts, olives and tomatoes were melding together, toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet. That should only take a few minutes but you have to watch that they don’t burn.
- When they are done, toss in the feta cheese and sprinkled the pine nuts on top.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Precooking the Brussels sprouts saves so much time and assures they will be nice and tender.
- While I used pine nuts you could also substitute almond slices. Toast them the same way you would the pine nuts.
- I really like feta in this dish but you could also try goat cheese or possible Asiago cheese.
- You could eat this as a meal as it’s very filling and full of flavor.
- As mentioned above, this would be great with a piece of fish or steak and that’s all you would need.
If you end up really liking this recipe, you can try using different vegetables in place of the Brussels sprouts. It would be great with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or even green beans.
Also this dish would make a good salad too. Just precook the Brussels sprouts and let them cool. Make a dressing with olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and some added vinegar. Mix the rest of the ingredients with the sprouts and dressing and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Mediterranean Low Carb Brussels sprouts
Start to finish this low carb side dish only takes 15 minutes at most. So if you are like me and buy huge jars of Kalamata olives from Costco you now have a great recipe to try. Enjoy! The nutritional information for 1 serving is:
156 cals / 11.7g fat / 10g carbs / 3.7g fiber / 4.7g protein = 6.3g net carbs
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 5 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Cook the Brussels in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil and garlic in a large saute pan. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, Brussels, olives, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile toast pine nuts in a dry skillet for a couple minutes. Watch that they don't burn.
- When pine nuts are a bit toasted. Take everything off the stove.
- Mix in the feta cheese and sprinkle the pine nuts on top and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Net Carbohydrates: 6.3g