Roasting air fryer rotisserie chicken pieces makes it easy to have that tasty chicken whenever you want. Brining the night before makes for juicy chicken and with the rotisserie spices you have a low carb dinner in 40 minutes.
You might also like this low carb air fryer chicken nuggets recipe.
I love store bought rotisserie chicken and I find that Costco has the biggest and best for your money. However our Costco is pretty far away so I’m psyched how this air fryer rotisserie chicken breasts & thighs recipe came out.
The crispy skin, juicy meat and combination of spices tastes just like rotisserie chicken to me. It’s so easy and tasty I won’t have to run out to Costco anymore! This is also a very low carb recipe and you can make any parts of the chicken you like: breasts, thighs, legs or wings.
Cooking the whole bird can be difficult and you need a larger air fryer so just cooking the individual pieces is convenient and easier. This air fryer is becoming my favorite kitchen appliance!
How to make air fryer rotisserie chicken pieces.
- Brine the chicken by mixing the water, Swerve sweetener, salt and garlic pouring over chicken pieces in a large baggie. Refrigerate over night.
- Mix the rotisserie seasonings in a small bowl and mix with melted butter.
- Take the meat out of the brining solution and blot dry with paper towels until dry.
- Using a basting brush spread the butter and spice mixture all over the chicken pieces.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 370°F from 25 – 40 minutes until the internal temperature is 165°F when using a meat thermometer.
- NOTE: You can use any pieces of chicken you want and that will fit in the basket of the air fryer. Just make sure it’s bone in and skin on. You can use boneless, skinless but I don’t know the cooking times.
- Scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe card you can print and save for later.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or take the meat off the bone, chop and freeze for soups and casseroles.
You can serve this with a nice green salad and a low carb vegetable like green beans, asparagus, broccoli etc for a complete meal.
Spice blend for homemade rotisserie chicken.
This is a simple blend that I use to make my rotisserie chicken. You might want to make a double or triple batch and keep it on hand. I use:
1 part (Italian seasonings, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper) + 2 parts (salt, paprika)
So 1 batch would be 1 teaspoon of each ( (Italian seasonings, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper) + 2 teaspoons of each (salt, paprika).
How to brine chicken.
The first thing you want to do is brine your chicken pieces the night before. This gives the meat tons of flavor and makes it juicy. Also you can brine in the morning and cook the chicken at dinner time.
I use a brine of roughly 4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of salt, ¼ cup sweetener (like Swerve) and a tablespoon of crushed garlic. The important components are the water, salt and sugar. You can add other things like celery, onion, bay leaves, etc but I like to keep it simple.
A note about the chicken. You want bone in chicken pieces with the skin. The skin gets nice and crispy and helps add fat to the chicken. The bones will help keep the juices in the chicken. You could use boneless or skinless but I’m not sure how long they will take.
Recipe notes for making rotisserie chicken in the air fryer.
- When ready to make the chicken make sure you dry the chicken from the brine so the rub and butter will stick.
- Baste the chicken on both sides and if you have left over use it half way through cooking.
- Set the temperature to 370° F. Cook for roughly 25 – 40 minutes. The thighs (and I think legs) should be done in 25 minutes. The breasts take a little longer from 30 – 40 minutes. The ones I had were huge and was done after 40 minutes. Makes sure the internal temperature is 165° F.
- The nice thing about air fryers is that you can easily take it out, check the chicken and put it back it in if it needs extra time. Having a meat thermometer is very handy to insure proper temperatures.
Keto recipes that use rotisserie chicken.
Rotisserie chicken is a great short cut for low carb recipes. I often use it in soups, casseroles and more and it’s great for meal prep. Here are just a few of my low carb, keto recipes using rotisserie chicken:
- buffalo chicken & cauliflower rice
- creamy chicken & spinach soup
- bacon ranch chicken & broccoli salad
- cheesy chicken enchilada stuffed peppers
- chicken, ham & swiss waffles
- chicken broccoli casserole
WHAT KIND OF AIR FRYER DO I USE?
I really like my air fryer. It’s an Air Fryer XL by Cozyna (5.8QT) and so far so good. It has a pretty large basket (I’ve cooked a whole chicken) and it’s simple to use (not too many buttons and gadgets). I did a little research and this is the one I thought would work best for me.
Update: I just bought another air fryer because I like some of the additional functions of this Chefman new air fryer. You can use it to dehydrate and it has a rotisserie spit! However I really like that it has a window so you can see your food as it’s cooking.
I’ll be playing around with it and have also made this recipe with it. I still have the Cozyna and the chicken came out the same so I still recommend that one too.
Well I hope you enjoyed these low carb air fryer rotisserie chicken breasts & thighs. It’s great for a busy weeknight dinner. Air frying gets the skin nice and crispy and the brining keeps the meat juice. Check out all of my low carb air fryer recipes here.
If you don’t have an air fryer you of course could make this in the oven. It will roughly take about 2 ½ hours in a 300 degree oven. Check out my friend Kristen’s recipe for oven rotisserie chicken for the full details.
The nutrition is based on using 4 pieces (1 large breast and 3 thighs) and 1 piece is: 380 cals / 27.9g fat / 1.6g carbs / 0.5g fiber / 29.7g protein = 1.1g net carbs
Brine for Chicken
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup Swerve sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
For the Chicken
- 1 chicken breast, bone in, with skin (8oz)
- 3 chicken thighs, bone in, with skin (4oz)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings mix
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- First brine the chicken by mixing the water, Swerve sweetener, salt and garlic in a large measuring cup. Put the chicken in a large baggie and pour the solution over it and refrigerate over night. Can also brine in the morning and use it for dinner.
- Mix the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Italian seasoning and black pepper in a small bowl to make the spice mix.
- At the same time melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 - 60 seconds. Then pour it into the spices and mix well.
- Take the chicken out of the brining solution and blot dry with paper towels until dry.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the butter and spice mixture all over the chicken pieces. If you have any leftover use it half way through the baking.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 370°F from 25 - 40 minutes. My thighs took 25 minutes and since I had an abnormally huge breast it took 40 minutes. It's easy to check them and put them back in to bake. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees F when using a meat thermometer.
- NOTE: You can use any pieces of chicken you want and that will fit in the basket of the air fryer. Just make sure it's bone in and skin on. You can use boneless, skinless but I don't know the cooking times.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380