These colorful curried carrots are seasoned and roasted for maximum flavor. Spicy and cheesy, they make for the perfect side dish this fall.
For some reason I have 3 lbs of carrots. What do you do with 3 lbs of carrots? Experiment. That’s what you do. I used them in my zucchini & carrot gluten free waffles and I tried making honey & thyme carrots. The waffles were good, the honey carrots were just ok, but these colorful curried carrots were my favorite of all. Curry powder and nutritional yeast make a crazy but delicious combination while roasting the carrots gives them a depth of flavor that I love.
You might wonder what the heck is nutritional yeast and why have I been using it so much lately. Nutritional yeast is actually inactive yeast that has a cheesy, nutty taste. You can use it as a substitute for grated cheese – a dairy free option. It is low in calories, high in vitamin B12 and has a fair amount of protein. Here’s a good article from Bon Appetit about nutritional yeast and I think Bragg’s is one of the best brands around. You can probably find it in a big grocery store or health food store, but if not here it is on Amazon (affiliate link).
Here are few recipes I’ve used nutritional yeast with great results.
These are my beautiful colored carrots from Trader Joes. Aren’t they pretty? I love the maroon ones with the yellow centers. While these multicolored carrots are nice, they are not necessary to the recipe.
So to make these tasty carrots, you toss them in a mixture of curry powder, nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic and lemon zest. Make sure they are well coated and then spread them out on a cookie sheet.
Roast them in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Check on them to make sure they aren’t burning.
Colorful Curried Carrots
While I made these as a side dish, I confess to having eaten a big plate of them for lunch. They really are yummy but I’m not sure it’s good to eat that many carrots in one sitting. 😳 I hope you like this lovely dish. It would be great to serve for company this fall or just to give your weekday meals a little zip. Enjoy!
- 8 multicolored carrots cut in to sticks
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zested (just zest, no juice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with spray oil.
- Cut your carrots into thick sticks. You can cut them anyway you want but size will affect cooking time.
- Add carrots to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add coconut oil, yeast, curry powder, salt, garlic and zest. Mix well.
- Add to your carrots and make sure all the carrots are coated.
- Spread evenly on the cookie sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Check every once in awhile to make sure they aren't burning. If you slice your carrots thinner or smaller they will take less time.
- Serve and enjoy!