This kale salad with lemony tahini dressing is the perfect winter salad. The lemony tahini dressing is packed with flavor and tastes delicious with kale salad.
I am a big fan of kale and I grow it every year but unfortunately, I forget to use it. Both my husband and my father in law smirk when I plant it. They wonder why I bother. Now that it’s winter and my kale finally died, I have a craving for it. Go figure. Lucky for me that Aldi has a nice organic baby kale and I used it to make this Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing. I love this dressing. It goes perfectly with the kale, chickpeas and chicken to make a simple, delicious winter salad.
Kale is one of the best greens to add to your diet. Actually, it’s one of the most nutrient dense foods around. One cup has 206% of the RDA of Vitamin A, 684% of Vitamin K, 134% of Vitamin C and many more nutrients. Here is a great article to read more about the benefits of kale. I used kale in this salad because it’s so healthy but also because I think it is delicious. It’s a nice sturdy green that holds up well to this thick, lemony hummus-like dressing. And if you use the baby leaves, they are both tender and sturdy.
I made this dressing a year or two ago and forgot how very, very tasty it is. I need to find new things to eat with it because I like it so much. I think it could even be a great dip. It’s thick, lemony, garlicky, cheesy and has a bit of curry flavor too. In this dressing I used avocado oil, lemon juice & zest, yeast flakes, tahini, garlic and curry powder. Just add everything to a food processor and whiz. You end up with this nice thick, bright dressing.
I used baby kale but if you only have the big leafy kind of kale I would suggest ripping the leaves away from the woody stems and cutting it into bite size pieces. Then massage the leaves with a bit of oil and let it sit for a few minutes. This will make it more tender. I made an Apricot Pecan Kale Salad and that post goes into a little more detail about the kale.
To make the salad, just add some chick peas and thinly sliced onions to your baby kale and top with sliced chicken. At the last minute I also added some toasted pumpkin seeds but that is optional. So there you have it, the perfect winter salad to have for dinner!
Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing
I hope you liked this recipe as much as I do. Once you try it you will be hooked and start growing kale in your garden every year. Just make sure to use it more than me so you won’t get any smirks from your hubby. 😉
Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing #SundaySupper
- Lemony Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup avocado oil can substitute olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- zest of 1/4 of a lemon
- Kale Salad
- 4 cups baby kale leaves
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and sliced
- sunflower seeds or pepitas to garnish optional
For the dressing:
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend on high.
Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
For the salad:
Arrange kale, onions, chickpeas on a plate and spoon dressing over top.
Garnish with sunflower seeds or pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels) if you wish.
This recipe is part of an awesome group called The Sunday Supper movement. We are trying to bring families back to the dinner table together. Check out all the other great #SundaySupper Winter Salad Recipes here:
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.