This low carb kale salad with lemony tahini dressing is a delicious healthy and hearty salad. The lemony tahini dressing is packed with flavor and goes great with the salad. One tablespoon has only 0.3g net carbs!
You might also like this apricot pecan kale salad.
I am a big fan of kale and I grow it every year but unfortunately, I forget to use it. Both my husband and my father in law smirk when I plant it. They wonder why I bother. But this low carb kale salad with lemony tahini dressing is one reason I love it.
The kale salad has pickled red onions and pumpkin seeds which provide lots of crunch and the thick, creamy tahini dressing brings it all together.
Healthy Hearty Kale
Kale is one of the best greens to add to your diet. Actually, it’s one of the most nutrient dense foods around. One cup has 206% of the RDA of Vitamin A, 684% of Vitamin K, 134% of Vitamin C and many more nutrients. Here is a great article to read more about the benefits of kale.
I used kale in this salad because it’s so healthy but also because I think it is delicious. It’s a nice sturdy green that holds up well to this thick, lemony hummus-like dressing.
Making the Lemon Tahini Dressing
This dressing is very simple. Just put everything in the blender and whiz away. The ingredients are olive oil, lemon juice and zest, tahini, garlic, nutritional yeast and curry powder. I know it sounds like a weird combination of ingredients but believe it works.
It’s a really versatile dressing. While I’m using it as a dressing here, it could also be used as a condiment or dip. I think itt would be great for a chicken salad too.
Tips for the tahini dressing
This dressing taste like curried lemony hummus. I used nutritional yeast to give it a bit of a cheesy flavor too. If you don’t have this (I’m sure not many people do) you can also use parmesan cheese.
Tip for using kale
I usually use baby kale but today I only had a bag of curly kale that I bought at Aldi. Sometimes I use kale from my garden. If you have the tougher curly kind or garden kale, I would suggest ripping the leaves away from the woody stems and cutting it into bite size pieces. Then massage the leaves with a bit of oil and let it sit for a few minutes. This will make it more tender.
Making this kale salad a meal
I added pickled red onions, pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and sliced chicken breasts to make this a meal. I think salmon could also be a nice addition. If you don’t have pickled red onions, just use a thinly sliced raw red onion.
However the tang from the pickled onion, the crunch from the kale and pumpkin seeds, and the meaty chicken all go great together with the dressing.
I hope you liked this recipe as much as I do. Once you try it you will be hooked and start growing kale in your garden every year. Just make sure to use it more than me so you won’t get any smirks from your hubby. 😉 The nutritional information is:
Kale Salad, 1 serving
112 cals / 4.6g fat / 3.9g carbs / 1.3g fiber / 14.6g protein = 2.6g net carbs
Lemon Tahini Dressing (1 tablespoon)
52 cals / 5.1g fat / 0.7g carbs / 0.4g fiber / 0.9g protein = 0.3g net carbs
Low Carb Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing
This low carb kale salad with lemony tahini dressing is a hearty and delicious salad. The lemony tahini dressing is packed with flavor and very versatile!
- Lemony Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- zest of 1/4 of a lemon
- Kale Salad
- 4 cups baby kale leaves
- 1/2 pickled red onion sliced (can use raw red onions)
- 8 oz chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
- 1/4 cup pepitas to garnish
Lemon Tahini Dressing
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend on high.
Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
Arrange kale and pickled onions on a plate and spoon dressing over top.
Garnish with pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels) if you wish.
This recipe is part of an awesome group called The Sunday Supper movement. We are trying to bring families back to the dinner table together. Check out all the other great #SundaySupper Winter Salad Recipes here:
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.