This is a delicious and healthy shrimp pasta dish using red peppers to make a creamy “tomato-like” sauce. A quick, healthy and delicious dinner in no time.This is a great dish that my mom used to make back in the day. It’s quite an easy dish and one that we would eat often because it tastes so good, it’s quick to get on the table and it’s relatively healthy. The simplicity of the red pepper sauce does not mean that it lacks in flavor. It is quite tasty and a great change from tomato sauce. The snow peas add some crunch and color to the creamy sauce and shrimp. And the pine nuts and grated cheese are just my favorite things to top pasta with….even if it’s zucchini noodles which is what I usually eat.
The pepper sauce consists of chopped red bell peppers, onions and chicken stock. A little salt and pepper and that’s it. You simmer everything until the peppers are soft and then you puree everything in a blender. Below you can see what the peppers look like once they are cooked and pureed. Smooth and creamy, almost like you put cream in the dish.
In the meantime you cook your pasta according to the directions on the package but about 3 minutes before it’s done, throw in your snow peas and let them cook with the pasta together. Then you just drain the pasta and snow peas. Take the pepper puree and put that back in the sauté pan with the shrimp. Let the already cooked shrimp heat up a bit and then add your cooked pasta and snow peas. Mix everything through and your done.
Here you can see what it looks like with pasta. I like to add pine nuts and grated cheese to most of my pasta dishes but it’s not necessary to the dish.
And here is my plate with the zucchini noodles. Both ways are delicious depending on whether you are trying to eat low carb.
So that is my quick and easy shrimp pasta with red pepper sauce. And as I have said before, just because it’s simple doesn’t mean that it’s not packed with flavor. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 red bell peppers chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ lb cooked shrimp
- 8 oz snow peas
- 1 lb cooked pasta
- toasted pine nuts and grated cheese (optional as garnish)
- If using frozen shrimp, make sure your shrimp are thawed.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions.
- Add your snow peas to the pasta and water, 3 minutes before the pasta is done.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add your butter and onions. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add your red peppers, salt, pepper, bouillon and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until the peppers and soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add pepper mixture to a high speed blender and puree until smooth and cream.
- Put the pepper mixture back in the pan and add your shrimp. Cook over medium heat unit the
- shrimp is warmed through.
- Add your pasta and snow peas and mix thoroughly.
- Plate and add toasted pine nuts and grated cheese if using.