This easy pasta with sausage and peppers recipe is a quick dinner you can make any night of the week. Italian sausage with roasted peppers and tomatoes are a delicious combination with any kind of pasta. You can easily make this pasta dinner on the stovetop or in the oven.
And for a low carb version try this recipe of wide zucchini noodles with sausage and peppers.
I used to make this easy pasta with sausage and peppers pasta recipe a lot for my hubby. Partly because he likes it and mostly because it’s easy and I know it’s tasty. There are two ways you can make this; on the stovetop or in the oven.
Either way it’s full of flavor with Italian sausage, roasted peppers, onions and tomatoes. I like to add a little parmesan cheese and pine nuts on the top but that is optional. But it’s really good so you should try it. 🙂
Recipe ingredients I used.
All you need to make this delicious Italian dish is paparadelle pasta (or other kind of noodles), Italian sausage (sweet or hot), garlic, olive oil, sweet bell peppers, onion and grape tomatoes.
If you want you can also add some grate parmesan cheese and even toasted pine nuts on top. I did not use any fresh herbs but you could also garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
There is a low carb recipe for this dish.
When I made this the other day I decide to make wide zucchini noodles with sausage for myself to keep it lower carb. It was just as good if not better than the one made with pasta.
My husband would not agree but what does he know! haha. You can see what it looks like below. Check out the post for this low carb pasta version.
How to make pasta with sausage and peppers.
Step 1: Start the water boiling in a large pot and cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package.
Step 2: Get out a large sausage pan and heat to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and brown the sausage. You can either take it out of the casings (which I did) or you can chop it up and brown it with the casings on. Once it’s cooked take it out of the pan and set aside.
Step 3: Next put a little olive oil in the same pan and heat to a medium high. Add the onions and cook until they turn translucent. Then toss in your peppers, garlic and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper too. Once the vegetables have softened add back the sausage.
Step 4: Cook for a little while to let the flavors meld. If you feel it needs a bit more olive oil add it now and cook for a minute or two.
Step 5: Lastly take your cooked pasta and add it to the pan. Mix everything up and heat through. Now your are ready to plate. Serve with grated parmesan.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. (Please scroll down for the printable recipe card.)
To make this in the oven instead of the stove.
It’s just as easy to make this in the oven if you are in one of those set and forget moods. Just add all of the ingredients in a large baking dish and cook in a 400°F oven for 40 minutes.
In both cases you of course want to cook the noodles separately and toss with sausage and peppers mixture. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts for a little something special.
I’ve said it before but everything tastes great with pine nuts in my opinion but they are sometimes hard to find and expensive so you don’t really need them.
Well I hope you like this as much as my family does. Whether you make it in the oven or on the stove, it’s so simple but it’s really tasty. Enjoy!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, hot or sweet
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet bell peppers, sliced
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 lb cooked pasta (use whatever type of pasta noodle you like)
- toasted pine nuts and grated cheese on top, optional
To make on the stove.
- If your sausage is in casings, either take off the casings or chop into bite size pieces.
- In a large sauté pan brown your sausage and then remove from pan.
- Add your olive oil and onions.
- As the onions start to get translucent, add your peppers and tomatoes and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes so that peppers and tender.
- If you feel it needs more olive oil, add it now. Maybe a tablespoon or two.
- Add back your sausage and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in your cooked pasta or if it doesn't fit in pan, add the pasta and sausage mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Top with toasted pine nuts and grated cheese if using.
To make in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a large baking dish and add all of the ingredients. You can take the casings off the sausage and cut into little pieces. Or you can keep the casings on and cut into pieces.
- Mix well and bake for 40 minutes.
- When done, mix or top with the cooked pasta. Serve with grated cheese and pine nuts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 894mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g