This is a summer staple in our house. There are many times when I know we will be busy running around all day and I won’t have much time to cook dinner. I’m sure you can relate. I try to plan for those days by using the grill. Not only do you not have to turn on a hot oven in the summertime but you can probably get your husband or someone else to do the cooking for you. Bonus! All you have to do is marinade the meat and veggies over night, skewer them the next day and you have a meal in minutes.
So the night before you plan on eating this or even the morning of, whip up your marinade and cut your veggies and chicken. Get two big ziplock bags and put your bite sized pieces of chicken in one bag and the chopped veggies in another. I used onions, peppers, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, broccoli and zucchini. I put half the marinade in each bag, sealed and mixed them well. If you have more chicken then veggies or vice versa, divide the marinade accordingly. Place the bags in the refrigerator until you are ready to grill.
When you are ready, take the chicken and veggies out of the marinade and place them on skewers and grill. I like to keep the chicken separate from the veggies but it really doesn’t matter how you do it. If you need a starch, just add some rice and you are good to go. And if you have any leftovers, they make a great salad topping. Enjoy!
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 3 cups of chopped vegetables (I used peppers, onions, mushrooms, grape tomatoes and zucchini)
- In a bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, spices and garlic.
- Add your cut up pieces of chicken into a large ziplock bag.
- Add your chopped up vegetables in another large ziplock bag.
- Divide your marinade between the two bags. If you need more in one bag than the other, do so accordingly to make sure all the chicken and veggies are coated.
- Refrigerate overnight. You can also do this in the morning and refrigerate all day. Regardless marinade for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to grill, discard excess marinade and skewer your chicken and vegetables.
- Grill until the chicken is done. Enjoy!