This cheesy broccoli cauliflower rice is a delicious side dish that you can make in minutes. It’s low carb and grain free too!
One day we had my in laws for dinner and I had nothing planned. Meaning I needed to go to the grocery store but was too busy to get there so I scanned the freezer for a main dish and threw together this side dish. No one was more shocked than I when my father in law actually liked this cheesy broccoli cauliflower rice. He’s very particular and I literally threw this together in minutes. It was good, don’t get me wrong, but it wasn’t something he would normally eat. So I was quite happy I stumbled upon something that he enjoyed.
Funny story. I made meatloaf for my father in law once and halfway through dinner he stopped and asked me, “Let me ask you something. How did go about getting this so dry?” Like I set about to make the driest meatloaf possible. 😛 And then there was the time I made ham and cabbage soup; one of his favorites. He said it would taste so much better if it was in a deep bowl. I made the mistake of serving it in a large shallow bowl. What was I thinking! He keeps me on my toes, that wonderful old man.
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice (low carb)
As I said this was super easy. I made cauliflower and broccoli rice by placing the florets in a food processor and pulsing until they turned into rice sized pieces. Next I steamed them in a large saute pan with some chicken broth (use vegetable broth if vegetarian). And then I finished it off with a little cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. I even sprinkled a bit of cheddar on the top when it came out of the pan.
I picked this easy recipe because today we are celebrating World Vegetarian Day on Sunday Supper. It’s something that I make quite often because it’s a low carb dish that goes with almost anything . A special thank you to Susan Pridmore from The Wimpy Vegetarian for hosting this week.
I hope you like this super easy side dish as much as my father in law did. And remember soup always tastes better in a deep bowl! Please scroll down and check out all the wonderful vegetarian dish my friends at Sunday Supper have for you today. The nutrition per serving is:
164 cals / 12.3g fat/ 6.5g carbs / 1.9g fiber / 8.5g protein = 4.6g net carbs.
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice #SundaySupper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (vegetable broth if vegetarian)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top optional.
Place your broccoli florets in a food processor and pulse until the broccoli resembles rice.
Do the same with the cauliflower.
Spray a large saute pan with cooking spray and and heat your pan to high.
Add broccoli and cauliflower rice and stir for a minute or two until the veggies get hot.
Add broth, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese and cook until melted.
Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top if using.
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.